How do I change the Text message alert

kimlei71

Feb 7, 2009
I need help, I do not like any of the text message alerts on the iPhone and would like to purchase or download new ones...Is this possible? If so, please I need step, by step simple instructions,..I am a rookie :)!

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2009
I am looking for the same thing, My Treo let me customize all of this. And play Divx... :( i think thanks to Apple, I'll be waiting for a LONG time before I get to play DivX on my iPhone. Poor Core is still waiting for approval.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
To change the sms/email/voicemail/calendar notifications etc..you need to have a jailbroken iPhone. If you do that the easiest solution is to get a program called toneFXs which will allow you to create new tones and will put them in the right place on your phone and give you a gui to easily choose the appropriate tones for the event. costs about 5 bucks I think, the iPhone based app can be found in cydia, you can do a search to find the PC based software, both are needed.

I should point out you can also do this for free, just converting files to the proper format, renaming them to the the appropriate file names and replacing the existing tones on the phone. I bought the program and I like it, it's very easy and I'm all about easy solutions, even if it costs a couple of bucks.

Feb 7, 2009
Thanks, i take it this program would essentially be doing the renaming and file placement for me? Or does it actually integrate a settings page and what not, to allow configuration via iPhone? Just re-jb'd my iPhone, as I figured i could drop some files into the appropriate folder to add to the list of available text-tones. But maybe this app is worth it.

Still kinda sad that I went iPhone, can't wait for the Pre. :) :) :) Cut and paste - ohhh how I miss thee.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
It has it's own GUI, and yes I'm sure it replaces one of the tones, but it allows for an easy replacement of the stock tones as well.

This is the folder you will find the stock sounds in if you want to go the free method.
System/Library/Audio/UISounds/

Plenty of tutorials out there, google will give you all the specifics.

Feb 7, 2009
But of course... Thanks be to Google... Champion of freeing the signal :)