How do I clean my iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MCJ, Jan 12, 2012.

1. MCJ

MCJ New Member

Maybe it's because I'm obsessive compulsive, but I cannot get the screen of my iPad clean. I got it for Xmas and since then my screen is so filthy I really have trouble seeing anything on it. I have tried everything to clean it but nothing works. I thought that the screen has a special coating so fingerprints don't stick. Am I doing something wrong or is it possible that there is something wrong with my iPad? Any advice on how to clean the screen or what I should do would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

3. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I'm the same way with my iPad and iPhone. I use a screen protector on both devices which helps cut down on the fingerprints, but I still clean the screen everyday with a damp towel first and then a dry cloth to remove the streaks.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

4. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

The iPad screen has an oleophobic coating. This is not fingerprint resistant, but it does make your finger glide over the screen more easily even if there are fingerprints on it. On devices which did not have this coating (all iPod touches, the original iPhone, and the iPhone 3G), once you got a few fingerprints on it, it began to affect the smoothness of the drag.

There is not likely to be anything wrong with the screen coating unless you use abrasive substances, alcohol, or windex to clean it. Cleaning it is just a matter of taking a dry cloth of some sort and wiping it until the fingerprints are gone. Microfibers usually work well for this purpose, but I've been known to take an iPad to the thigh, as my jeans usually do a fine job at it. Occasionally for tough fingerprints, you might need some assistance from a cleaning solution like eScreen or iKlenz

Preventing it--or at least mitigating the appearance--requires never leaving fingerprints in the first place (take a shower before every time you use your iPad?), or using an anti-glare screen protector.

5. jakeferren

jakeferren Guest

I use my glasses wiping cloth to wipe my iPhone's screen, and it works well.

6. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

I just use micro cloth with a phone laptop and iPad cleaning spray works great and the cleaning spray is cheap....

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

7. aurther11

aurther11 New Member

First, in order to clean the iPad it is recommended that you turn off the device. Although only a small amount of water will be used, it is not wise to clean the iPad with it on.
    Second,disconnect any wires/cords connected to the iPad and take off the case if you have one on.
    Third,Now take the microfiber cloth and apply a small amount of water so that the cloth is damp. Make sure that the cloth is not dripping as this clearly can be dangerous to your iPad.It is critical that you DO NOT use any other type of cleaner including window cleaner, aerosol cleaner, or any other chemical cleaner.
    Fourth,Using the damp cloth, gently rub all of the exterior surfaces of the iPad. Do this until you have wiped away all of the smudges on the screen and casing.
    Finally, use the dry portion of the cloth (or another one if necessary) to dry off the phone. Although it should not be dripping wet, failure to dry properly will leave streaks. Make sure the iPad is completely dry before turning it back on.

8. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Don't agree with the wet cloth or wet micro fibre,as I've used a mac book iPad and iPhone cleaning spray on all three devices and I was pointed towards the cleaning spray by Apple and have never had to turn any of my devices of to clean them...each to there own, but when I've finished cleaning my iPad it's smear free... Also when you buy a screen protector you get a sealed cleaning cloth to wipe the screen with b 4 applying the protector, that cloth has a special cleaning solution on it.. which you can buy as a spray to spray onto a micro cloth then use on your screen....

9. BBP

BBP New Member

Set washing machine to warm/cold temperature, gentle speed, delicates cycle. Set dryer to low heat, easy care cycle.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I use alcohol-free screen wipes, I use them on the body as well as the screen.

11. Chitz Legaspi

Chitz Legaspi New Member

Bwahahahahaha... I went super laugh on this! Nice one!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

12. BBP

BBP New Member

Glad you liked it ; )

13. Laylapotata

Laylapotata Member
    Bronze

not so far from the truth. I've done that with two old Samsung dumb phones in the past (by accident of course) and they still worked!

14. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Saw this thread pop up and figured I'd tell you about Phil's article on How to clean your iPad or iPhone.

#14 chris, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  15. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

Baby wipes work great! After all if it's gentle enough for a baby's behind, it's gentle enough for my iDevices.

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app

16. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

The alcohol may not be good for your screen and or screen cover.

17. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

I should have added alcohol free baby wipes.

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4S using iCafe app

18. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

What are in them if it isn't alcohol? Is it just a wet rag then?

19. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

"Water, cetyl hydroxyethylcellulose (plant-derived cleaning agent), glycerin (vegetable oil derived), citric acid (provides stability and pH balance), aloe barbadensis leaf extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E acetate), potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate (food-grade preservatives).

The wipe material used in this product is a blend of rayon (naturally derived) and polyester (PET)"

http://www.seventhgeneration.com/Baby-Wipes

20. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

yes I wouldn't use that on my device.