How do I close Safari so it's not running edge on background?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Fayewolf

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
I don't want to drain my battery, if i opened up a webpage on safari, i don't' know how to close it. I can close safari if there are multiple browsers/pages open, but if i'm down to the only one page, it won't let me close it (no red cross on left upper corner). I want to make sure if i press on the home button it will actually close the application so that I'm not wasting battery... any idea?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
this is what i do.... close all the windows until there is only one left then press and hold the button for 8 seconds and the app will close.. this closes it all the way so that it is not in the background running EDGE...

good luck

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
this is what i do.... close all the windows until there is only one left then press and hold the button for 8 seconds and the app will close.. this closes it all the way so that it is not in the background running EDGE...

good luck
Hold which button for 8 seconds? The home button? thanks!

Fayewolf

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007

good luck
Thank you! it worked!

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
You dong ... Dong ... Dammit iPhone spell right! You Don't have to close any of the browser windows to do yjis... aaaaaaa! This... this.

And holding the home screen shuts down any app: calculator, maps, ipod, etc. If you don't do that they will all still run in the background.

I haven't noticed any difference in battery life when i have Safari completely closed. I don't think an open Safari running in the background actually uses the edge connection, so i doubt youll nkotice any improvement either. But im eager to be proved wrong so give it a try.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
oh, by the way, by closing Safari like this (just like a Safari crash) you'll lose your back button history. Maybe that's not important to some of you, but to me its EXTREMELY important, especially since the iPhone does such a TERRIBLE job of keeping track of browsing history. One reason why I love Opera much more than Safari: Opera maintains the Entire back button history for each tab even after a crash or if you shut down.

Brandon!

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
From what I've seen, once hit the home button or lock the phone Safari is closed down. To test this, browse to a very big page -- one that takes awhile to download. Before it's done, lock the phone or return home. If you return home, the internet icon should disappear and the page shouldn't finish loading.

Fayewolf

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
From what I've seen, once hit the home button or lock the phone Safari is closed down. To test this, browse to a very big page -- one that takes awhile to download. Before it's done, lock the phone or return home. If you return home, the internet icon should disappear and the page shouldn't finish loading.
I see! Thanks for everyone's help!