How do I convert AVI videos to the iPhone on a Mac?

magnum man

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
What program is best for this on a mac? It would help if it was free lol.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
What program is best for this on a mac? It would help if it was free lol.
search for VLC. That's free and very useful. You should get mpegstreamclip as well, between them there's very little you can't do.

HTH

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
im sure that if youhave quick time pro u can do this, or you might try importing to imovie and exporting it to ipod format

kbhark

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
"isquint" is a great converter for macs and it even converts WMV to MP4 format.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
QuickTime pro is the best way to spend £20. Worth every penny.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Open iMovie. Create a new project, and drag the movie you want to convert into the project.

Click File in the menubar, then Export. Select iPod. This will convert it to mp4, the iPhone's movie file format. It looks great on the iPhone.

iMovie comes on the Mac, and is free to use.

- John

magnum man

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
OK, I'm trying out isquint. Are there certain settings I should change? Or should I just use the default settings?

kbhark

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
It depends on what quality you want. You can set it for iPod resolution (320x240) or TV (640x480) and you can change the quailty for each. Both resolutions work on iPhones and ipods. Very simple app and works great!

Listerman

Bronze
Sep 4, 2007
Quicktime Pro is amazing for most file converting to iPhone (actually a preset option).

I also use Handbrake for ripping DVD's directly to iPhone format

kbhark

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Anybody know a good free program for Mac that converts Real Media to Mpeg4?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Honestly, the only real reliable method for converting most of these oddball formats to Mac friendly ones have required me to hop into a VMware XP session and just do my encoding with SUPER.

I have not found anything on the Mac which even comes close to SUPER's resume of capabilities. It's also free...

nicegoogly

Nov 4, 2007
:2cooliSquint is the easiest. MPEGStreamclip has some issues converting on its iPhone setting, but I have not updated in a while. Otherwise, it is necessary if you have a hard drive camera and need to convert MPEG videos to edit them.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Anybody know a good free program for Mac that converts Real Media to Mpeg4?
Quicktime Pro will convert it with a preset for either iPhone or iPod. And can create an FLV movie file for the web.

nicegoogly

Nov 4, 2007
I have not seen much difference in the quality types. Normal will be just fine and will take up less space.

kbhark

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Quicktime Pro will convert it with a preset for either iPhone or iPod. And can create an FLV movie file for the web.
I have QuickTime pro and I don't think you can even open real media files with it because it automatically opens with realplayer. So I don't think there is a way to convert the file through quicktime pro. Correct me if I'm wrong.