How do i convert iTunes purchased single and convert to mp3?

readbmr

Bronze
Aug 28, 2008
Hi, can somebody tell me how i can convert a purchased single/tracks from within iTunes and then convert it to mp3 and then burn it to disc?

As far as i can get now is that the tracks are copyrite protected but i thought there was a way to convert to mp3 then burn to disc, especially as ive bought them, has Apple now stopped us doing this?

Help please and thankyou from Brian

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Take your purchased single ... In iTunes burn it to a disc ... Eject the disc when finished and then put it back in to the computer. In iTunes Click Preferences, and then the General Tab. Then Click the Settings tab and set it to the Desired MP3 bit rate. Then simply rip the Song back off the CD. You can copy all the metadata from the original including album art. Congrats you now have a MP3. Hope this helps.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Those instructions were for iTunes 8.0.1 ... Previous versions work similarly except the encoding setting is in a slightly different place, I believe it's under Advanced. (I don't have an older copy of iTunes handy)

readbmr

Bronze
Aug 28, 2008
Your a star

Hi and yes that worked to a tee, and yes you were rite as the new iTunes hasn't got them settings anymore, cant understand why as at least we buy them and not download from other sources !

Many thanks again from Brian

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
In the future I would check Rhapsody for your song/alblum first. They have converted to MP3 format and the songs are the same price.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I have used Rhapsody as well as Amazon as iTunes alternatives and they both work very well. They give you the standard MP3 with all the correct Meta Data .. I still purchase more from iTunes. Seems like I have it open the most. LOL

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Hi and yes that worked to a tee, and yes you were rite as the new iTunes hasn't got them settings anymore, cant understand why as at least we buy them and not download from other sources !

Many thanks again from Brian
You are Very Welcome BTW.

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
if you are using a mac, you can removed the protection imovie. but this is a several step process

RhoXS

Oct 20, 2007
Find two applications called Tunebite and ITLU (iTunes Library Updater). Both are readily available at reasonable prices. ITLU might even be free, I just don't remember. Tunebite will convert the iTunes M4P files to any format you want.

This is a two step process. 1) use Tunbite to convert the downloaded file to an MP3 file and then 2) ITLU to update what iTunes software thinks is in the music library.

As soon as I purchase a song from iTunes I immediately use Tunebite to convert it to an MP3 file and then delete the M4P downloaded file. iTunes software does not have any provision to either manually or automatically update itself if you manually add or delete files from the music library. Therefore, after adding the converted MP3 files, and deleting the purchased limited use M4P files, I run an app called ITLU (iTunes Library Updater).

This system is easy to use and works very well. It allows my wife and I to use all our music in all of our playback devices. If we did not do this, we could not burn custom mp3 disks for both of our cars or use the music on our Zune. iTunes will allow you to burn a standard CD but a music CD does not contain the hours of music that a data CD containing MP3 files has.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Tunebite is pretty cool, basically does the same thing I recommended however it saves the need for a disk. Audio quality does take a very small hit because you are essentially re-compressing a compressed file, however this seems like a fantastic way to convert your library in bulk.

RhoXS

Oct 20, 2007
I do not doubt that there is some measurable finite degradation using Tunebite but, at least to my ears, I cannot tell the difference. I should comment that my hearing is somewhat less than perfect but I do seem to be able to distingush and enjoy high quality audio sources.