How do I customize background, new icons on iPhone?

Jul 23, 2008
Atlanta, Ga
Okay so I just got an iPhone, its my first. Its a 1st gen, unlocked with 2.0.

If I can, how can I get a custom look out of it? i.e. a background and new icons.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
The most common (and easiest) way to customize the look of the iPhone is by using to applications, called "Customize" and "SummerBoard." However, neither of these apps currently work on the 2.0 firmware, so the only way to modify the appearance is by using SSH to modify files. SSH is a connection type that allows you access to the iPhone's disk.

Here you can replace files with new ones to make it look different. (Example: the Weather app's icon resides here: /Application/Weather.app/icon.png. You could replace the icon - the current being a sun with a blue background - with a picture of a cloud. So long as that picture is 57 by 57 pixels and is named icon.png, it will then show up as the weather app's icon.

For more information on SSH and how to do it, look through this thread.

Jul 23, 2008
Atlanta, Ga
The most common (and easiest) way to customize the look of the iPhone is by using to applications, called "Customize" and "SummerBoard." However, neither of these apps currently work on the 2.0 firmware, so the only way to modify the appearance is by using SSH to modify files. SSH is a connection type that allows you access to the iPhone's disk.

Here you can replace files with new ones to make it look different. (Example: the Weather app's icon resides here: /Application/Weather.app/icon.png. You could replace the icon - the current being a sun with a blue background - with a picture of a cloud. So long as that picture is 57 by 57 pixels and is named icon.png, it will then show up as the weather app's icon.

For more information on SSH and how to do it, look through this thread.
Cool thanks.