How do i delete/restore/renew jailbroken iPhone 2G to defaults?

May 26, 2009
Hello, i am new to iPhones and i could use some help.

My sister just gave me her old iPhone 2G, which had already been jailbroken by one of her friends.

My goal now is to free up space and remove all my sisters stuff of this phone such as her music/videos/photos/contacts/apps etc, while still maintaining the iPhone in its current jailbroken and unlocked state (and without bricking my iPhone)

I don't know if you would call this a restore, or a renew, or a set to default settings etc.. but basically all i want is to remove all my sisters crap of this phone and re-fresh it to the way it would be if it was new, while still being jailbroken and unlocked. (not Apple factory non-jailbroken new)
^I hope that made sense.

I have done some Googling, and have become overwhelmed with too much iPhone info, much of which seems to cater to the newer 3g model, and none of it really outlines exactly how to achieve my goal, on my setup.

Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction to a guide that explains how i can accomplish my goal?

I appreciate any help.

Here is some extra info:
iPhone 2G
settings/about/version = 2.2.1 (5H111)
settings/about/modem Firmware = (04.05.04_G)
I use a PC. (no mac's here)

originalg00kster

Bronze
Mar 19, 2009
if you read around the forums, jailbreak and unlocking is actually a really simple process. Its just a matter of if you can read directions or not. I would say restore the phone as new, jailbreak it again and no need to unlock because its already unlocked and once unlocked it is always unlocked. download quickpwn and follow the instructions, there is a sticky up top if you need help.

its really really simple. hope that helps.

or another solution is to sync onto your pc and just re-sync it to your stuff. im sure that would work too.

May 26, 2009
if you read around the forums, jailbreak and unlocking is actually a really simple process. Its just a matter of if you can read directions or not. I would say restore the phone as new, jailbreak it again and no need to unlock because its already unlocked and once unlocked it is always unlocked. download quickpwn and follow the instructions, there is a sticky up top if you need help.

its really really simple. hope that helps.

or another solution is to sync onto your pc and just re-sync it to your stuff. im sure that would work too.
Thanks for the reply.
I don't think i made myself clear in my question, and i don't know if i can explain myself even better, but i will once again try.

1)The phone is already Jailbroken
2)The phone is already unlocked
3)The phone is full of my sisters music/videos/contacts/apps etc.

I want to :

A) Maintain the phone in its Jailbroken state.
B) Maintain the phone in its unlocked state.
C) Remove all my sisters music/videos/contacts/apps etc.

Your comment mentioned "I would say restore the phone as new"
i) How do i restore the phone as new?
ii) will restoring my phone as new UN-jailbreak it? or RE-lock it?, Is that why you said to jailbreak it again?
iii) is there no way to achieve goals A,B,C without having to re-jailbreak?
iv) if so, could you kindly recommend a good windows jailbreaking guide for a old 2G iPhone with my current firmware. (all i seem to find is instructions for Mac, with the 3G iPhone)

You also mentioned "or another solution is to sync onto your pc and just re-sync it to your stuff. im sure that would work too"

I have never owned a iPhone so i don't have any "stuff" to "re-sync" onto it.
All i want to do the objectives A,B,C above, and start from scratch.
Unless by "re-sync" you mean formating or wiping clean etc.. in that case then i guess it covers goal C, which is somthing I would like to do once i figure out how to do it.

originalg00kster

Bronze
Mar 19, 2009
yes download the newest version of iTunes on your windows and sync over your sisters phone...i think it would get rid of the jailbreak but im not sure...but once a phone is unlocked it can never be locked again no matter what you do.

jailbreaking and unlocking is an easy process. just follow the directions. same rules apply for 3g and 2g. only difference is that you cant unlock 3g with 2.2.1 and current baseband.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
You can remove all of your sister's content at once on the iPhone itself. Go to Settings/General/Reset and choose Erase all Contents and Settings. This will get the job done, but you will still get some messages once you try to sync it with iTunes, but this should avoid the need to restore and re-jailbreak/unlock it all over again.

If you really want to start from scratch, you should restore it in iTunes, which would lock it and un-jailbreak it. You would do this by connecting it to your computer and pressing the Restore button in the iPhone pane that appears in iTunes once it recognizes your iPhone is connected. You'd then need to re-jailbreak/unlock it again after restoring it, which would be easy. I'm guessing you're using a PC – there's a great tutorial on how to do this here.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
but once a phone is unlocked it can never be locked again no matter what you do.
Source? Everything I've seen online and done with my own iPhones indicates that restoring an iPhone via iTunes will re-lock it, unless you have an official factory-unlocked iPhone. A software unlock is not permanent, which is why the Dev Team always warns people to wait before upgrading to new firmware since it will re-lock their phone unless the Dev Team has already cracked it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
3G's have to be jailbroken and unlocked again after each FW update or restore, but I thought the V1's (2g) remained unlocked after updating or restoring.

I'm sure about the FW update as my brother has a V1 and it remained unlocked when he updated to 2.2.1 (it's currently not jailbroken), but I'm not 100% sure about the V1's remaining unlocked after a full restore restore to factory settings.