How do i delete the email address which show up when composing a message?

1. latas

latas New Member

Hi All,

I am new to all this...but can someone tell me how to delete the email addresses which pop up for the contact when i type in the first couple letters of the contact in the 'to' bar? The previously used addresses will show even when the contact has been deleted.
  2. GailLA

GailLA Member Bronze

I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll try. Keep typing and if the email address is not in your contacts, the pop up addresses will disappear when you no longer match one in your contacts or when you hit "return". If the address you want is one of your contacts that pop up, just select it. Hope that helps, but like I said, I'm not sure I understand.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. latas

latas New Member

Yes, you're on the right track but I don't want to be able to see the old email addresses again..some are really old. Is there a way to get rid of them? For example, if a contact no longer uses a particular email address and I delete it from my contact file, it still shows up.
  5. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot Gold

I don't think you can. I've tried as well - no luck here...
  6. PhilipJohn

PhilipJohn New Member Bronze

There is a way to do it, I've done it. I know it involves removing your backup and restoring. I would call 1 800 myiPhone. And have them walk you through it. It was such a pain to do though I don't worry about it anymore. And I believe after a certian amount of time that you don't use those e mails it goes away.
  7. termleech

termleech Zealot Gold

I'm sure it's built like the email cache in outlook or mail on safari. It not only looks at your contacts folder, but it look at any email addresses you've used and suggests those as well.
  8. Dawgfan

Dawgfan Member Bronze

ahhhh, don't want the lady pulling up an email address of that OTHER lady if she gets ahold of your iPhone eh?
    :p

seriously, wish I could do this as well... without a backup/restore process...
  9. BBGT2

BBGT2 Member Bronze

^^^^ What he said. Thats the ONLY reason you wouldn't want them appearing, LOL. Just do a restore and POOF they are gone. Good luck.
    :cool::cool:
  10. PhilipJohn

PhilipJohn New Member Bronze

That's not the only reason. It used to really irritate me, that's why I wanted those e mails address' to go away.
  11. MatureTechie

MatureTechie New Member

Dawgfan - your comments were not helpful neither the ones about a lady seeing the address or the restore - neither helped. A restore does not fix the problem. Sometimes there are crazy people that we don't want to make a mistake sending an email to by mistake because they pop up.
  12. BigCiX

BigCiX Zealot Gold

i believe the only way to get rid of these "no longer emails used" is to restore your phone as new.
  13. MatureTechie

MatureTechie New Member

Found solution

I found the solution and you are correct you can either restore as new or restore by choosing a restore date that is before you began using the email address you would like to get rid of. Either way it is unpleasant because you lose any other changes and work you saved between then and now.
  14. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot Gold

Even MS Outlook does this. If You can't get rid of them in outlook, I wouldn't expect it from a phone...
  15. thedug

thedug New Member

You can delete them in Outlook. Just use the arrow key to highlight the one that you don't won't and hit the delete button. Or if you want to delete them all there is an address history file that you can delete. Just google and you'll find it

Also, what about typos? That's why I want to purge not to hide **** from other people.. But freaking typos.. That are stuck in my history forever.. Silly Apple! Fix this..

People always say that Apple is so smart then why not remove the address if the email bounces?
  16. Watcher

Watcher Zealot Gold

Forgive me if I'm wrong but it really sounds like you just want to bash Apple. :dft008:surprised
  17. thedug

thedug New Member

no.. I'm just annoyed that I can delete stale emails and I was letting the fellow above know that you can delete them in outlook.
  18. Watcher

Watcher Zealot Gold

Okay, my bad... for a minute I actually thought you were my buddy, Doug. ;)
  19. thedug

thedug New Member

OH.. Bummer. Are you only buddies with folks that bash Apple?

As a multi-platform (snow leopard, win7, ubuntu) user, I always think it's funny when I talk to people who drink the Apple cool-aide. There is no perfect OS or software company for that mater. Although google seems to be making great stuff these days, why does their maps application not really help me get anywhere?

Anyway, I noticed that you say you have MMS enabled and working, any online documentation on how to do this?

Do you think that this voilates any part of the ATT contract? I.E. I was curious if they could try and charge for bandwidth if they discovered you weren't "playing by the rules"

D/
  20. suryagullapalli

suryagullapalli New Member

Here is the solution folks

You're iPhone will have to be jailbroken so you can ssh into:
    /private/var/mobile/library/addressbook

You then copy out AddressBook.sqlitedb
    It would be best to create a backup of this just in case something goes wrong.

Then what you'll need to do is open the file with a SQLite Database manager, I for example downloaded Visual SQLite (for free) off of download.com.

Then after installing and opening the file (AddressBook.sqlitedb) you can go ahead and delete the contact you wish to remove by:
    Under Table selecting: ABRecent
    Selecting the Table Data tab
    And then scrolling down, finding the person, and....delete

So then you save the file, ssh it back to the same folder in your iPhone, replacing the existing one.

Cheers
    Surya
  21. psylichon

psylichon Genius Moderator

Wow, that's more effort than I think most people will go through, but kudos on finding a solution to this age-old problem!