how do i do a virgin restore

thesheikh

Sep 16, 2007
i want to do some sort of restore without wiping my iPhone because it freezes every time i goto finder and when i goto camera it stays at the shuttle and lyk 2 min later it boots me back to the home screen and when i goto camera roll it takes like 20 sec for everything i do

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
If you have tried giving it a restart (hold the sleep/wake button and home button for 10 seconds) then you can do a restore.

if you have synced even once on iTunes then everything you had at that point got backed up....contacts, notes, safari bookmarks....everything, except passwords. Just click the restore button on the summary in the iPhone menu in iTunes.....in about 10 minutes you should be up and running again. if that doesn't fix your problem you may need a new phone.

thesheikh

Sep 16, 2007
If you have tried giving it a restart (hold the sleep/wake button and home button for 10 seconds) then you can do a restore.

if you have synced even once on iTunes then everything you had at that point got backed up....contacts, notes, safari bookmarks....everything, except passwords. Just click the restore button on the summary in the iPhone menu in iTunes.....in about 10 minutes you should be up and running again. if that doesn't fix your problem you may need a new phone.

it doesn't do contacts because i synced my iTunes with the iPhone and then did a restore and everything was gone and ill i got back were the stuff in the tabs that you sync to get...no contacts....notes

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
im pretty sure once you loose your virginity you cant get it back. theyre are religious rituals that can restore your virginity but thats only spirital restoration but yeah tis is the iPhone forums :p

Last edited by a moderator:

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I've done many restores and they all put everything back with no "contacts" synching checked. You are doing something wrong.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
i want to do some sort of restore without wiping my iPhone because it freezes every time i goto finder and when i goto camera it stays at the shuttle and lyk 2 min later it boots me back to the home screen and when i goto camera roll it takes like 20 sec for everything i do
Try here, and look at the end where they talk about gold firmware. I'm pretty sure it's a virgin restore.

bizzy045

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
i used that turorial to "virginize" my phone, and it worked perfectly. I had previsouly unlocked my phone with anySIM and modded with 3rd party apps using iBrickr. These Apple warnings about unlocked phones and bricking problems with the new updates, made me change my mind and try to relock my phone. I successfuly relocked my phone and restored it to factory settings using the bbupater mentioned in the tutorial above. Now only my AT&T sim works, and it says invalid SIM for my prepaid tmobile sim (which was working in the iPhone after unlocking with anySIM)...let me know if you run into any issues...it seems a lot of people are having problems relocking the phone. I didn't run into any, so im not sure what the deal is.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
i used that turorial to "virginize" my phone, and it worked perfectly. I had previsouly unlocked my phone with anySIM and modded with 3rd party apps using iBorickr. These Apple warnings about unlocked phones and bricking problems with the new updates, made me change my mind and try to relock my phone. I successfuly relocked my phone and restored it to factory settings using the bbupater mentioned in the tutorial above. Now only my AT&T sim works, and it says invalid SIM for my prepaid tmobile sim (which was working in the iPhone after unlocking with anySIM)...let me know if you run into any issues...it seems a lot of people are having problems relocking the phone. I didn't run into any, so im not sure what the deal is.
I have modded my phone with ibricker and installer.app, but I have not unlocked it with anySIM. Since I haven't messed around with the anySIM carrier unlock, I didn't think I had to worry about bricking the phone with the next update. But do I have to worry about the jailbreak changes that iBrickr made? Is there any value in trying to do a "factory restore" of my phone to "un-jailbreak" it before the next update? Or do only the SIM-unlocked people need to worry about that?

hot_mamma311

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Chicago
I have modded my phone with ibricker and installer.app, but I have not unlocked it with anySIM. Since I haven't messed around with the anySIM carrier unlock, I didn't think I had to worry about bricking the phone with the next update. But do I have to worry about the jailbreak changes that iBrickr made? Is there any value in trying to do a "factory restore" of my phone to "un-jailbreak" it before the next update? Or do only the SIM-unlocked people need to worry about that?
Well I had used jailbreak on my phone when I first got it and I had to do a complete restore before I was able to update at all. And all I changed were the icons on the home screen. Hope that helps!

bizzy045

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
you don't need to worry about the restore...but when the new firmware comes out, it will do a restore anyways...so if you want to do it now you can, it doesn't really matter. people who have unlocked their phones (i.e. they have flashed the baseband), need to do a virgin restore, using the bbupdater method. then do a iTunes restore. that will set it back to original factory state (i.e. relocked, no 3rd party apps, not jailbroken)

kryptedak

Sep 21, 2007
question

ok, if i have unlocked my phone successfuly, and ran i brickr and cant get the appl. to load on my iPhone should i restore my phone from iTunes, and if i do will i have to unlock my phone again?