How do I find IP host to SSH into my account?

ring0_event

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
You mean of your phone? Settings -> WIFI -> tap the "i" of the connected network

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
If you have iFile you can do most things on the device itself, rather than using an SSH client.

ring0_event

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
No, I know how to find my IP address, it's the host address at the other end that I need.
Oh, in Windows, open a cmd shell, and type "ipconfig". On OSX, of which I know much less, you need to go to the network settings to see, but there must be a way to get this from a shell (but I don't know how). Is this what you meant?

EDIT: I haven't used Linux in a while, but Google says ifconfig is the way to go.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
If you have iFile you can do most things on the device itself, rather than using an SSH client.
I do have iFile, but I'm just more comfortable doing stuff from my computer, it's bigger.
Oh, in Windows, open a cmd shell, and type "ipconfig". On OSX, of which I know much less, you need to go to the network settings to see, but there must be a way to get this from a shell (but I don't know how). Is this what you meant?

EDIT: I haven't used Linux in a while, but Google says ifconfig is the way to go.
I'll give it a shot, thanks . . .

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
No, I know how to find my IP address, it's the host address at the other end that I need.
You sure it's the main computer? When opening up an SSH connection to an iDevice for file transfer you'll use the IP of the phone rather than the computer.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
You sure it's the main computer? When opening up an SSH connection to an iDevice for file transfer you'll use the IP of the phone rather than the computer.
I'm aware of that. What I need is the host name so that I can transfer the files on my computer to the IP address of my phone.
panes.jpg

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I'm aware of that. What I need is the host name so that I can transfer the files on my computer to the IP address of my phone.
View attachment 39761
Hey, just trying to help. As I/we have stated the host/URL is the IP of your phone on your wireless network e.g 192.168.0.6 username: root password: alpine

Change your protocol to SSH as well, FTP isn't the right one.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
Hey, just trying to help. As I/we have stated the host/URL is the IP of your phone on your wireless network e.g 192.168.0.6 username: root password: alpine

No, hey I appreciate it. I know about SSH protocol, that was just a screen grab. I'll give anoter try. Again thanks . . .

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com

Hey warrior, I got it to work. I used application named Transmit worked find, just as you advised. Good advice. (y)