How do I find out I have a genuine iPad Air Smart case?

Discussion in 'iPad Air' started by avin7000, Apr 10, 2014.

1. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

Hi, I am from India and I bought an iPad Air Smart Case from Amazon India. I did not know the actual price of Smart Case, so I ordered. I bought the case at 2800 INR (about 46.5 USD). Now when I am checking prices online, it is being sold 6500 INR (99 USD) upwards in India. The MRP on box mentions 3100 INR (51.5 USD) I think I have received a duplicate case. I called up Apple care and asked them whats the actual price. Its surely around 99 USD in India. When I mentioned the price mentioned on box is 51.5 USD, Apple Care said the distributor may be selling at discount price (well, that does not even make sense).

The product code mentioned on box says: MF0492M/A. Googling this not giving me any useful results. [infact, no relevant results at all]

Do note that I have never used/saw an genuine smart case in irl.

Looking at the quality, I am doubtful. Apple products are all about precision & perfect. However I don't find the leather cuts precise. Following are the pictures:

What shall I do? How do I know whether its genuine or not? Shall I return this?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That is definitely not authentic. I would return it. Can you buy directly from Apple online?

3. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

Can you tell me how did you identify it?

No.. There is no Apple online store in India and Apple sells via distributors. However I live in a small town and nearest Apple authorised store is 300 miles away. Thats why I had to buy online.

So I will return it and try to procure it somehow.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The packaging, the uneven cutouts and the etching that shouldn't be there.

5. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

^okay... I have decided to return it.

btw these cheap cases come with sleep-wake up feature with magnet. Does that cheap magnet would harm my device or its screen? On ebay these cases are being sold at 5USD. I am thinking to get one.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The magnets won't cause a problem.

7. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

^fine then! I will get one such case. thank you very much for all the help :)

8. avin7000

avin7000 Member
    Bronze

update, I have sent back the case to amazon. however still awaiting full refund. :S