How do I get custom SMS and E-Mail tones on iPhone 3G? I have a Windows Vista PC

Discussion in 'Jailbreak Archives' started by hitstick29, Aug 10, 2008.

1. hitstick29

hitstick29 New Member

I have recently purchased an iPhone 3G. I have a Windows Vista PC and I have no idea how to get custom message alert tones for SMS and E-Mail. I want to use the songs on my harddrive. My iPhone 3G isn't jailbroken or unlocked and I would really like step-by-step directions on how to do this without resorting to that, but I will take any answer. It Would Be Greatly Appreciated! Thanks!

2. MileHighRob

MileHighRob Zealot
    Gold

Unfortunately, you'll have to resort to JB if you want custom tones for anything other than your ringtones.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. seanwes

seanwes Zealot
    Gold

You MUST jailbreak your iPhone 3G to get the custom sounds you are talking about.

HERE is a tutorial.

AFTER you've done that, then follow this guide (originally posted here):

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  5. hitstick29

hitstick29 New Member

I am worried to jailbreak my iPhone 3G because it's new and I have heard that it could possibly break it or ruin it. Is there any truth to that?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  6. MileHighRob

MileHighRob Zealot
    Gold

Countless people have jailbroken their iPhones. If you get in a sticky situation with it someone around here can help you out of the mess. Chances are your answers are already here in one of the thousands of posts at EiC. However, you know your own capabilities and if after reading the instructions that seanwes has provided you, you still are uneasy or nervous about the process maybe it's not for you. Only you can decide that. But as for as breaking or ruining the phone if you follow the steps you should not have to worry.

7. hitstick29

hitstick29 New Member

Thanks, I really appreciate all your help.

8. MileHighRob

MileHighRob Zealot
    Gold

You're welcome... Good Luck!

9. Voltaic Shock

Voltaic Shock New Member
    Bronze

I would like this too, but don't want to jailbreak my phone.

Wish Apple would add the ability to add themes to the phone with options to change the sounds (I come from the BB world, so I am a little spoiled with themes and customization)

10. molly

molly Guest

me too. I would like this too.
    Thank you very much. It is useful.

11. kevlar08

kevlar08 New Member
    Gold

jailbreaking actually has little risk, if for some reson you encounter a problem that bricks your iPhone you can simply restore it back to normal through iTunes everytime, believe me ive messed up on the jailbreaking prosses many times and a simple restoere will set it back to factory tune

12. jarofclay73

jarofclay73 Zealot
    Gold

The one thing you should be worrying about jailbreaking is voiding your warranty. And if you got AppleCare, then that would probably render that useless as well.

13. photojojo

photojojo New Member

Jailbroke my 3g iPhone that already had 2.1 running on it. I used quickpwn and got the download at the official torrent here. Took about 20 minutes, the first time it didn't take, but it took me a while to get to the home key the first time and I didn't hold it down for 5 seconds. Started over and was ready the second time and it worked like a charm.

After that I followed the steps listed at the beginning of this thread and I now have a custom message alert.

14. ecd5000

ecd5000 New Member

you don't need to jailbreak, download diskaid, you can ssh into your phone from this you may need to google where the files are unless u like to explore, if i remember its system/library/audio/UISounds. then just place em in there, also make sure you use iTunes to convert them to aiff, once saved, right click and rename it to a .caf file, they are needed this way you can also google that but that easy, you also might have to rename them as another previous tone

15. justahsquirrel

Silver

You have to jailbreak to get into the phone.
    I don't think there is a way around that.

16. seanwes

seanwes Zealot
    Gold

This is incorrect. You must jailbreak and install OpenSSH from Cydia in order to be able to access the system files of your iPhone.

17. photojojo

photojojo New Member

No such thing as diskaid, discaid, disc aid, or disk aid in iTunes...or Cydia.

18. ecd5000

ecd5000 New Member

No I'm pretty sure yiu don't need to jailbreak to do it this way and diskaid will. Not be in cydia or iTunes try google I know this works