How do I get Customize to work on 2.2?

fdchilds16

Bronze
May 6, 2008
Whenever I open Customize, it just immediately crashes. Has anyone jailbroken the 1st generation iPhone on 2.2 and was able to use Customize? If so, what source did you have to add to get it?

Thanks!

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I read somewhere on these boards that the Customize developer wasn't going to continue to upgrade it, but just a rumor. I finally got it to work on mine after my last restore and re-jailbreak. I had to open the app several times and it finally worked. It's too bad if this app will not be updated because it was one of my all time favorites for theming.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
From the developer's site, he says he is working on porting it to 2.2. The reason he hadn't done it before is because he didn't know there would be any demand for it anymore after Winterboard came out. He now believes that it's necessary though, thankfullly.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
From the developer's site, he says he is working on porting it to 2.2. The reason he hadn't done it before is because he didn't know there would be any demand for it anymore after Winterboard came out. He now believes that it's necessary though, thankfullly.
Awesome, great news!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I've got Customize working on my 2.2 but when I tried to get my friend's working earlier it wouldn't. Not quite sure what the issue is.

ess_bee

Bronze
Dec 16, 2008
UK
I've got Customize working on my 2.2 but when I tried to get my friend's working earlier it wouldn't. Not quite sure what the issue is.
Ive just opened up Customize and I get a screen saying I need to create an account? Need to create a; username, password and give over my email address?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Ive just opened up Customize and I get a screen saying I need to create an account? Need to create a; username, password and give over my email address?
As far as I can remember this is how Customize has always been. You can use a bogus e-mail if you wish. That's what I usually have to do.

ess_bee

Bronze
Dec 16, 2008
UK
As far as I can remember this is how Customize has always been. You can use a bogus e-mail if you wish. That's what I usually have to do.
Do I always need to sign in like this every time I open up Customize?

I haven't tried this yet but If I do submit my details the app will work in return?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I've only ever had to sign in the first time I ran Customize on that particular phone unless I just restored or I had deleted Customize and reinstalled it.

thepunisher1991

Bronze
Jul 30, 2007
Whenever I open Customize, it just immediately crashes. Has anyone jailbroken the 1st generation iPhone on 2.2 and was able to use Customize? If so, what source did you have to add to get it?

Thanks!

customize for me was completely useless i got it to work but i would not let me change the system strings so i just decided to remove it! :(

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I was able to change my strings, but after several attempts. This is what I mainly use it for. I miss the old Customize days when the app was a lot easier to use. But for those who really want to use it, keep trying it will eventually work.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I change my strings pretty regularly. It's weird that some have problems with it and other do not. I've been able to get it to work since I installed it fortunately.

fdchilds16

Bronze
May 6, 2008
Hey, I just reinstalled it, and instead of it showing the rainbow colored icon, it's the purple colored icon. But this kept crashing again too. I just kept right on reopening it every single time it crashed, and then eventually, it stayed open. It keeps popping up erros when I try to do anything with themes. However, it will let me edit the SpringBoard Strings. Yay!

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Hey, I just reinstalled it, and instead of it showing the rainbow colored icon, it's the purple colored icon. But this kept crashing again too. I just kept right on reopening it every single time it crashed, and then eventually, it stayed open. It keeps popping up erros when I try to do anything with themes. However, it will let me edit the SpringBoard Strings. Yay!
Cool! I'm glad you finally got it to work, this is exactly what happened to me, it's great when it finally works.

ess_bee

Bronze
Dec 16, 2008
UK
How many attempts did it take roughly? Ive tried 13 times in a row and given up!

ess_bee

Bronze
Dec 16, 2008
UK
How many attempts did it take roughly? Ive tried 13 times in a row and given up!
well well well

The 14th attempt and it has finally opened :]

Editing "system strings" what does that mean?

Customize images/sounds I have an empty list? How can i add stuff etc?

Can I change the "slide to unlock" text with Customize?

ess_bee

Bronze
Dec 16, 2008
UK
OK this strange but sounds like I could of accessed Customize a long time ago

Currently my 3g and edge is turned off via BossTools. With these two off I can open up customize

When I switched edge and 3g on, I get a message from Customize saying I need to create an account?

I have tried putting 3g and edge off vice versa but even that doesn't work?

Anyone know why this is happening? Currently I have edge and 3g off and I can access customize.

By not switching edge and 3g on am I not going the most out of customize?