How do I get rid of apps and update to new firmware?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

wmflyfisher

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
Athens, GA
I might be interested in selling my iPhone. I'm currently running 1.0.2 with a ton of apps. How do I delete all of these and download the newest firmware without messing anything up so I can sell this thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, WM

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I might be interested in selling my iPhone. I'm currently running 1.0.2 with a ton of apps. How do I delete all of these and download the newest firmware without messing anything up so I can sell this thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, WM
I would restore so you can sell a cleaned up iPhone with 1.1.2.

bfakhroo

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
first of all is your phone unlocked? if yes you have to revirginize it before updating or else you'll brick your phone.. and in my thoughts if you're going to restore + update to sell it i advice you to update to 1.1.1 in that way you can sell it to anyone.. if you upgrade to 1.1.2 you'll scare away ppl who want to buy the phone and unlock it since they can't unlock it in 1.1.2 (for now until they release a new unlock software) and they have to downgrade to 1.1.1... so to be safe update to 1.1.1

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
So all I need to do is restore? What exactly do I need to do. Sorry, I'm a noob:)
Open iTunes, plug your iPhone. After a few seconds, iTunes will recognize your phone and take you to the iPhone home screen in iTunes. From there, click there "restore" button. Wait a few minutes while watching progress and voila!

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
My phone is a locked At&t version. Thanks for the info guys. What do you think sebefore81? Should I go to 1.1.1 or 1.1.2?
bfakhroo is kinda right. You may restore it to 1.1.1, just in case your buyer is a future "hacker"... Most people though don't have any idea you can jailbreak your iPhone. It's up to you.

To restore to 1.1.1:

1. Locate the 1.1.1 file on your computer. On a PC, 1.1.1 will be archived here: C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Application Data\Apple
Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
This file is a hidden file so you may need to go to Tools>Folder Options> and click "show hidden files".
You may also download 1.1.1 here: http://modmyifone.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=6

2. Open iTunes and plug in your iPhone

3. Wait for iTunes to recognize the phone.

4. Once iTunes has recognized the phone, push "SHIFT + restore" at the same time. Instead of restoring and updating to 1.1.2 it will ask you what version you want to restore too. At this time, browse for your 1.1.1 file and select it. It will then wipe out everything on your phone and restore to 1.1.1.

5. That's it :)

Hopefully this will help.

If it's too complicated for you, just restore to 1.1.2 and let the buyer downgrade to 1.1.1. himself. Chances are the buyer won't even know about firmware stuffs.

Why do you want to sell your iPhone anyways?

wmflyfisher

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
Athens, GA
bfakhroo is kinda right. You may restore it to 1.1.1, just in case your buyer is a future "hacker"... Most people though don't have any idea you can jailbreak your iPhone. It's up to you.

To restore to 1.1.1:

1. Locate the 1.1.1 file on your computer. On a PC, 1.1.1 will be archived here: C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Application Data\Apple
Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
This file is a hidden file so you may need to go to Tools>Folder Options> and click "show hidden files".
You may also download 1.1.1 here: http://modmyifone.com/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=6

2. Open iTunes and plug in your iPhone

3. Wait for iTunes to recognize the phone.

4. Once iTunes has recognized the phone, push "SHIFT + restore" at the same time. Instead of restoring and updating to 1.1.2 it will ask you what version you want to restore too. At this time, browse for your 1.1.1 file and select it. It will then wipe out everything on your phone and restore to 1.1.1.

5. That's it :)

Hopefully this will help.

If it's too complicated for you, just restore to 1.1.2 and let the buyer downgrade to 1.1.1. himself. Chances are the buyer won't even know about firmware stuffs.

Why do you want to sell your iPhone anyways?
I really appreciate the help. Well, I'm a bit of a junky for technology and I tend to jump from device to device pretty regularly. I really do like the iPhone but some of its features bug me at times. I may not sell it, I havn't decided yet. Besides I could make a good bit of money considering what I paid for it. ($200)!

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I really appreciate the help. Well, I'm a bit of a junky for technology and I tend to jump from device to device pretty regularly. I really do like the iPhone but some of its features bug me at times. I may not sell it, I havn't decided yet. Besides I could make a good bit of money considering what I paid for it. ($200)!
Glad I could help! I got mine for $150 :) but will probably not sell it until iPhone 2 comes out