How do I keep Safari/Mail/iPod from auto-backgrounding?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I have my memory usage in the status bar. When I first start my phone, it's always between 150-160MB. After a while, it always goes down to 80-90MB and stays there indefinitely. I used to think it was a memory leak or something, but now that I have the "Processes" add on in SBsettings, I can look and see what it is - Safari, Mail, and iPod, once opened, never ever close. They just hang out in the background wasting resources, and adding nothing to your experience. Once I end each one, I jump back up to 150MB right away.

I can't think of any justifiable reason to keep those running. I mean, ok the iPod can stay if you're listening to music, but it stays running even if you're not. Safari backs up your tabs so that shouldn't need to stay running. The Mail app could get your mail live, but with Push email that doesn't matter. Does anyone know how to keep these apps from auto-backgrounding? It would really improve the overall experience.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
When your in either iPod/Mail/Safari hold down the power button until you get the slide to power off and hold down the home button until the app force quits.

This will stop it running in the background. If you use mQuickDo you will it's no longer there once you've done this.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
The only apps that hang around for me are Phone and Mail (I have Push for Exchange). I've never seen iPod or Safari hang around after I "delete" them from Processes in SBSettings....

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Ok let me clarify, I understand that you can end the processes and the memory will jump back up. What I'm wondering is, can we KEEP Safari/iPod/Mail from AUTO backgrounding after you open them once? It's annoying to manually end their process each time.

("Phone" by the way, I know must always be backgrounding. I'm not complaining about that one.)

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I honestly do not know. The process which i've mentioned works until you relaunch the app.

Do you have Free Memory installed on your phone, this is a very good app.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I honestly do not know. The process which i've mentioned works until you relaunch the app.

Do you have Free Memory installed on your phone, this is a very good app.
Well I don't, but who needs it when you have SBsettings, you just click "Processes", then "Free up memory".

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Thats fair enough then. I'll pay close attention to this thread if anyone else has any options. I read somewhere that deleting different langauges for the apps reduces memory usage as well. I maybe wrong though as I haven't tried it myself.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
John even Free Memory has been removed from the App store. Apple doesn't want us freeing memory which is going to be a royal pain for those with only the 128 of the 3G.

But I'm with you wildonrio about especially Safari because I can be down to around 30 and close it from processes and jumps back up to around 100. It's really sad that it holds 60-70 megs even closed. That's over 40% of the available resources.

For now all we can do is close it through SBSettings unless someone else has the answer.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
I do not believe you can prevent them from running in the background. With mail, even after you kill the process, it will start back up in a few moments. Safari, if you close all tabs before you shut it down...will not run in the background. I use a cydia app called safari tab closer for this, tap and hold the new tab button

and...

The ipod app needs to be force quitted in order to not run in the background. That's one of the things I like about mQuickDo, with a swipe of the finger I have a task manager and can close running apps.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Thanks Shutter but for me I'll just close it through SBSettings. That way when I reopen Safari all 8 of my saved pages are still there.:eek:k:eek:k

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Lo and behold friends, I have found the answer! It's called "SafariQuitter" and it is perfect!

Here are some places that talk about it:

http://iPhoneism.us/2009/08/11/safariquitter-on-cydia/
http://iPhoneoverdose.com/2009/use-safariquitter-to-free-up-iphone-memory/

In case those links break, here is what you do:

To install SafariQuitter:
Open Cydia and add the following source: cydia.iPhoneil.net.
Search for install SafariQuitter.

This will always fully quit Safari when you hit the home button. This is really gonna speed up your phone, guys. It is indispensable, your iPhone experience will significantly improve. Get it now.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Thanks! I've got it installed and it does what it says. However the jury is still out for me because I do a lot of surfing on edge and 3G and this app seems to require the pages to reload every time I open Safari.

I enjoy opening Safari to one of my eight open pages and picking up where I left off. For instance if I'm reading bits and pieces of a long fantasy football article I can press home and go do something else and then press Safari and go right back to what I was reading but now it opens the page I was reading but has to reload it. This process usually tIes 15-30 seconds on weak 3G or edge.

I realize I can't have both the quitter and the fast open so I'll try it for a day or two.

Thanks for this great find!

Jjames

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
I don't know why but when I close safari with SBsetting all of the save pages are gone too.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
They are still there but must be redownloaded and that's because sbsettings removes the data of those pages from memory without removing each pages address or URL.

What SafariQuitter does is automate the process that sbsettings does ifyou open it, tap on processes, and close Safari. I don't think I'll keep using it because as I was typing this I left Safari to double check how to close Safari from sbsettings but when I reopened Safari the stuff I had typed was gone. And with SafariQuitter it doesn't appear that you can use backgrounder for those occasions when you need to leave Safari for a second and then pop right back in.

rojocrandall

Bronze
Mar 2, 2009
They are still there but must be redownloaded and that's because sbsettings removes the data of those pages from memory without removing each pages address or URL.

What SafariQuitter does is automate the process that sbsettings does ifyou open it, tap on processes, and close Safari. I don't think I'll keep using it because as I was typing this I left Safari to double check how to close Safari from sbsettings but when I reopened Safari the stuff I had typed was gone. And with SafariQuitter it doesn't appear that you can use backgrounder for those occasions when you need to leave Safari for a second and then pop right back in.
Understand what you are saying. After trying both (SafariQuitter and Safari Tab Closer), I like Safari Tab Closer as you have a choice to not lose your browsing sessions upon exit. With SafariQuitter, it is all or nothing.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Yeah but since I pretty much always have 8 pages (max) open and I don't want them to close, that app won't work for me. But I sounds very useful and I'm sure it's a great option for most people.