how do i launch openSSH ?

gumbo

Nov 11, 2007
i'm desperately trying to get nes games and roms on my iPhone, i've downloaded and installed the openssh BUT I CANT LAUNCH IT, any help?

mrbunglez

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 20, 2008
Its always open in the background. You don't have to open it. but it does drain the battery faster i suggest installing "Ulctl" app so u can turn it off and on.

Directions on how to install NES games on iPhone.

1. Install "BSD Subsystem" on phone from installer.This one has to be installed first.
2. Install "OpenSSH" on phone from installer.

3. Install WinSCP on WinPC. Cyberduck if you use a Mac
4. Setup WinSCP or Cyberduck, Set protocol to SFTP, fill out your phones IP Address (has to be on WIFI, under setup on phone you can find IP Address).
Logon: root
password: alpine (or "dottie" if youre running old firmware)

5. Plug in phone, start WinSCP or Cyberduck and login, will take a minute and if it asks you anything, just click OK.

Will show you the computer file system on left, iPhone file system on right. Can now drag and drop.

Click on var/root/mobile/media/

Create a directory called "ROMs"
and in "ROMs" create a directory called "NES"
Directory names are case sensitive so type it as you see here.

Search for games and drag them into the box.

Now you have NES games on your phone.:eek:

mrbunglez

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 20, 2008
didn't know about that Boss prefs it is a lot easier Thanks buddy.

sarb_deep

May 7, 2008
WINSCP & SSH not working

No worries - it's a real handy app. BigBoss puts out some great utilities ...
Hi all,

I followed the same steps but my iPhone is not connected through wifi.

Is there anything else which i have to install and enable.
i am able to ping my iPhone ip address without any problem

Please help me
sarb

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
If your using a PC, download a program called iPhoneBrowser (search Google for it). It allows you to copy files to and from the phone. There is no authentication like there is with WinSCP and the other SSH programs. It is not as powerful as WinSCP and does not include things such as a terminal program built in, but if you just need to make folders, copy files to the phone, etc.. it is great and easy.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
And iPhoneBrowser connects to the phone through the USB cable so it does not use your Wifi connection (or Edge) to reach the phone. Really helpful if you need to work on the files on the phone when at school or work where you might not have a Wifi connection available. The iPhoneBrowser program does not "install" onto the desktop computer so you can put it on a USB flashdrive and run it from there too.

sarb_deep

May 7, 2008
And iPhoneBrowser connects to the phone through the USB cable so it does not use your Wifi connection (or Edge) to reach the phone. Really helpful if you need to work on the files on the phone when at school or work where you might not have a Wifi connection available. The iPhoneBrowser program does not "install" onto the desktop computer so you can put it on a USB flashdrive and run it from there too.

Thanks a lot..

I wil try and let u know my finding ...

sarb

sarb_deep

May 7, 2008
Thanks a lot..

I wil try and let u know my finding ...

sarb

I downloaded iPhonebrowser and its giving some error.
will u please give me the link if u have iPhonebrowser setup
sarb

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
This is the site to get iPhonebrowser from (http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/)

What is the error that you received? Was it when attempting to connect to the phone or during the install itself? If you are on 1.1.4 you need to also install the ZiPhone iBrickr Fix that is in Installer (Add http://i.unlock.no as a source if you don't already have it listed). That will allow the iPhonebrowser program to communicate correctly with the phones files.

sarb_deep

May 7, 2008
This is the site to get iPhonebrowser from (http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/)

What is the error that you received? Was it when attempting to connect to the phone or during the install itself? If you are on 1.1.4 you need to also install the ZiPhone iBrickr Fix that is in Installer (Add http://i.unlock.no as a source if you don't already have it listed). That will allow the iPhonebrowser program to communicate correctly with the phones files.

Thanks for the information dear
that really helpful...
will let u know my finding.
sarb

sarb_deep

May 7, 2008

Hi

am able to install iPhonebrowser..
but when i m connecting it through usb
its saying
"iPhone connected but not jailbroken"

what does it means?...

sarb

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
In order to run after market software your phone has to be "opened" so you can install the software and run it. There is a software program called ziPhone (search this forum for it) and it is used to "hack" the phone to allow running software other than the few provided on the phone by Apple. Jailbreaking the phone will void your warranty. It is a safe process but not one to be done lightly. Do some research on it and this site is the best place to start. Search for ziPhone and read read read. Then if you decide you want to jailbreak your phone you can follow the instructions you will have read.

sarb_deep

May 7, 2008
SSh Problem Solved

In order to run after market software your phone has to be "opened" so you can install the software and run it. There is a software program called ziPhone (search this forum for it) and it is used to "hack" the phone to allow running software other than the few provided on the phone by Apple. Jailbreaking the phone will void your warranty. It is a safe process but not one to be done lightly. Do some research on it and this site is the best place to start. Search for ziPhone and read read read. Then if you decide you want to jailbreak your phone you can follow the instructions you will have read.

Solution is as follows:-

Install BSD, OpenSSh on yours iPhone
install ZiPhone ibrickr fix:-- it will jailbreak urs iPhone properly.

From windows box use "putty" or "Winscp" to connect.
WinSCP:- Click on advanced option and then connection
change the server responce timeout time to 40-45 sec.
click on session & save it. Enter IP address which you are getting from yours Wifi.
username :-root, Password:-alpine For 1.1.4
For Earlier version its "dottie"

Enjoy:)
Working for me

sarb