How do I make free calls from my phone using the Google Voice app?

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by ICON502, Dec 22, 2010.

1. ICON502

ICON502 Member
    Bronze

I noticed on my AT&T account that I was charged with minute usage while calling from the GV app. Is there a setting that Im missing or do I have it set up wrong?

2. ICON502

ICON502 Member
    Bronze

3. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

Google Voice is a free service but it's not VOIP and never has been. It simply forwards calls to your Google Voice number to as many phones as you designate so you'll use minutes on any cell phones used with your Google Voice number accordingly. It does include free text messaging (which will not use your iPhone text messaging plan as long as you have your Google Voice account sent to not forward texts to your cell phone number) and voicemail transcriptions.

If you want free calling on Wi-Fi or 3G, try the Tango, Viber, Fring, Skype, or netTalk apps (though note that most of these apps only provide free calls when you call someone else who is also using the same app on their phone).

4. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Also try textfree voice, it's free on the app store, I was able to make free phone calls using my iPhone and my nephew iPod touch, you choose a number and get free minutes by downloading free apps.
    The voice quality over my wifi was excellent, and you can call any cell phone on any carrier, you should def. Take a look at textfree voice now before they run out of phone number.

5. camryd

camryd New Member

thanks for your explaination

6. tommysterling

tommysterling New Member

Use talkatone with googlevoice and get free inbound and outbound calling with your googlevoice number

7. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

I just downloaded and tested talkatone. It was sketchy by my laptop (also on wifi) but when I moved away from it and towards my router is was clear. For free calling, you cannot beat it- so long as you have a strong wifi signal. In a weak signal area its going to be broken up.

8. eugchen23

eugchen23 Member
    Bronze

so talkatone with google voice can make free outgoing calls with WIFI?

what about with 3G? no solution with that? like on the road?

9. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

My last post was Jan of 2011. It's over a year and a half later and you can now make calls over 3G with talkatone. VoIP calls which appear as data.

10. eugchen23

eugchen23 Member
    Bronze

IS THE quality of voice decent over 3G?

11. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Not really. I have it and never use it.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app