How do I make free calls from my phone using the Google Voice app?

ICON502

Bronze
Jun 8, 2010
Louisville,Ky
www.youtube.com
I noticed on my AT&T account that I was charged with minute usage while calling from the GV app. Is there a setting that Im missing or do I have it set up wrong?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Google Voice is a free service but it's not VOIP and never has been. It simply forwards calls to your Google Voice number to as many phones as you designate so you'll use minutes on any cell phones used with your Google Voice number accordingly. It does include free text messaging (which will not use your iPhone text messaging plan as long as you have your Google Voice account sent to not forward texts to your cell phone number) and voicemail transcriptions.

If you want free calling on Wi-Fi or 3G, try the Tango, Viber, Fring, Skype, or netTalk apps (though note that most of these apps only provide free calls when you call someone else who is also using the same app on their phone).

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Also try textfree voice, it's free on the app store, I was able to make free phone calls using my iPhone and my nephew iPod touch, you choose a number and get free minutes by downloading free apps.
The voice quality over my wifi was excellent, and you can call any cell phone on any carrier, you should def. Take a look at textfree voice now before they run out of phone number.

camryd

Dec 19, 2010
Google Voice is a free service but it's not VOIP and never has been. It simply forwards calls to your Google Voice number to as many phones as you designate so you'll use minutes on any cell phones used with your Google Voice number accordingly. It does include free text messaging (which will not use your iPhone text messaging plan as long as you have your Google Voice account sent to not forward texts to your cell phone number) and voicemail transcriptions.

If you want free calling on Wi-Fi or 3G, try the Tango, Viber, Fring, Skype, or netTalk apps (though note that most of these apps only provide free calls when you call someone else who is also using the same app on their phone).
thanks for your explaination

Jan 30, 2011
Use talkatone with googlevoice and get free inbound and outbound calling with your googlevoice number

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I just downloaded and tested talkatone. It was sketchy by my laptop (also on wifi) but when I moved away from it and towards my router is was clear. For free calling, you cannot beat it- so long as you have a strong wifi signal. In a weak signal area its going to be broken up.

eugchen23

Bronze
Jul 22, 2010
so talkatone with google voice can make free outgoing calls with WIFI?

what about with 3G? no solution with that? like on the road?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
My last post was Jan of 2011. It's over a year and a half later and you can now make calls over 3G with talkatone. VoIP calls which appear as data.