How do I play Words With Friends?

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by php111, Sep 16, 2011.

1. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

Hey,

I'm not really a game person. I do would like to learn how to play. Could someone teach me how to play Words With Friends? Could someone message me by helping me if they have the time?

I know I said I'm not a game person. I have tried the chess on a PC. I like it better in the house with the actual board. I haven't played it in a couple of years, so I don't know how good I will be. I much rather and prefer if someone could teach me some fun games for my iPhone 4? Thank you!

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Do you know how to play scrabble?
    It is very similar to that. Once you have the words with friends app downloaded click on the plus sign upper right hand corner. Click find random opponent and a game will start. Move the letters to the board to form words just like in scrabble.

3. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to play! Will it take to much of your private time over on FB, and Words to teach me how to play? Or would that make you feel uncomfortable?

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Nope what's your name on words. I'll start a game right now with ya.
    Or u can start one with me. Same name as on here

5. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

I'm not even sure what's my name is on Words. All I did was set Words with my default FB email.

Does that nope mean no adding because you feel uncomfortable, or nope means you don't have the time?

6. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Means nope I can help u. Start a game with me then. Click on the plus. Add opponent by user name. Enter rugaby

7. php111

php111 Member
    Bronze

This is confusing. I don't know how to play these games.

I might delete it from my phone.

8. CanadianNemo

CanadianNemo Genius
    Gold

9. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

You weren't the other person in the conversation. I am still shaking my head in amazement.

10. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Php, it's not hard at all. English is not even my first langauge and I love the game. Give it a try with rugaby, and you can add me also, just search for B€NNY under the create a game button then user name.

11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You can also throw letters at the board all day until it accepts one. :)

Personally, I'd rather it be more like the board game Scrabble, where you lose a turn if the word isn't accepted. It would challenge people more.

12. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I agree. I have done scrabble tournaments and love them. Words, like you said, is easy because people just guess until they get a word. Or use a cheat app. Why play the game?

13. CanadianNemo

CanadianNemo Genius
    Gold

Ray, I forgot to tell you that I tried "Pez" yesterday when you and I were playing and it rejected it.

But then it accepted "biz".

14. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I know. Lame. Pez is a proper noun though so no surprise. But for obvious reason I wish it could be player. Fez of course is allowed

15. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

It goes both ways. I've found my self many times frustrated that I couldn't find a word, kept guessing till I got it.
    You need to adjust to the way the game is built, hating it because people might cheat? just don't play these kinds of people, they are very easy to spot.

16. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I agree. I am not hating on it cause they cheat. Just cheat themselves. I like using those two braincells I have so I enjoy racking my head till I find a word. I see words though on there all the time that aren't allowed in scrabble. It's different is all, and a game so no biggie.

17. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Yeah I've heard that before, Never played scrabble thou.
    Most of the weird words I know I learned for players using them.

18. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I would prefer it be like Scrabble in that aspect too. Of course in Scrabble you can play words that are not really valid if they are not challenged. Not possible in WWF.

So I have adjusted and use see-if-it-works now as a feature. They have even "improved" that "feature" recently and tell you which word or words, if you are forming more than one, is incorrect. So you can use that to check on a word without having to commit. Just form another word at the same time that you know is incorrect and if only the deliberately misspelling is reported as invalid you know the other one is OK. :) Prior to that change the game would just tell you a word was unacceptable even if you were forming several.

I don't consider that cheating as the other play can do the same thing. That said I don't sit there randomly trying words throughout the game. But if I am unsure of one that I am going to use in a multi-word turn it's a nice way to check first. OK, if Im down to 3 tiles and nothing pops out to play... I'm trying everything! :)

But to use an actual app to cheat? Why even play?

Michael

19. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Micheal, wanna play?

20. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Look out Michael. Benny's a ringer.