How do I prevent my iPhone 5 from getting scratched?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Link182kidd

Bronze
Jul 3, 2011
How can i keep my iPhone from scratching but not have to put it into a case? Its the back and sides that i worry about not so much the screen.

Sent using iPhone 5 32GB

Phreddyl

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
You can try the skins from ghost armor,invisible shield, bodyguardz or zagg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Grayburn

Bronze
Sep 23, 2010
London, UK
Good advice from all above.

You can go down the cases route like i did but my Power Support & Caze cases have done damage to mine whilst i though they were protecting it!

I cant say it's the cases fault as in reality it's Apple being tight with the anodizing!

elida33

Jul 22, 2013
Well lets be honest here... The only way you're going to successfuly avoid any scratches occurring is by getting a case. i recommend a case that my sister bought; it covers the back and the rims making it very subtle as a case and if you get the black one or clear one depending on your iPhone colour, it doesn't seem as though you have a cover at all!

Grayburn

Bronze
Sep 23, 2010
London, UK
Well lets be honest here... The only way you're going to successfuly avoid any scratches occurring is by getting a case. i recommend a case that my sister bought; it covers the back and the rims making it very subtle as a case and if you get the black one or clear one depending on your iPhone colour, it doesn't seem as though you have a cover at all!
All the cases (2 Power Support Air Jackets & Caze Zero 5 pro) I've had cover the back and all sides and its still got scratched!

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
All the cases (2 Power Support Air Jackets & Caze Zero 5 pro) I've had cover the back and all sides and its still got scratched!
Because dirt gets inside. You have to take the case off and clean it and the phone occasionally to prevent scratches.

Grayburn

Bronze
Sep 23, 2010
London, UK
I think it depends on how dirty the phone gets. I've never had a problem with scratches, but yeah, it certainly can happen even if you do clean it frequently.
I don't get scratches as such just random specks. Might get it re-anodised if I'm not into the 5S/6.

Sent using iCafe app

RolandSeh

Feb 22, 2012
Problem with some cases are that they are scratching the phones when you put them on and remove them often. I have got used to using my iPhone 5 without a casing and had dropped the phone a couple of times with some dent marks on the edges.

Grayburn

Bronze
Sep 23, 2010
London, UK
Problem with some cases are that they are scratching the phones when you put them on and remove them often. I have got used to using my iPhone 5 without a casing and had dropped the phone a couple of times with some dent marks on the edges.
My problem is dirt & dust getting in and then being rubbed against the phone as its being held. A grain of salt getting in did the worst damage to my phone.

Sent using iCafe app

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
My problem is dirt & dust getting in and then being rubbed against the phone as its being held. A grain of salt getting in did the worst damage to my phone.

Sent using iCafe app
Have you ever considered getting a Lifeproof? I don't own one myself as I've got an Otterbox but that would solve your dust problem as the case forms a seal around your phone :)

Grayburn

Bronze
Sep 23, 2010
London, UK
Have you ever considered getting a Lifeproof? I don't own one myself as I've got an Otterbox but that would solve your dust problem as the case forms a seal around your phone :)
They look too bulky to me. The cases I have are all of the slim kind, the kind that keep the form factor.

Sent using iCafe app

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
They look too bulky to me. The cases I have are all of the slim kind, the kind that keep the form factor.
Sent using iCafe app
As a long time LifeProof user, I can attest that they are not bulky at all. To keep dust, dirt etc.. away from your iPhone, I don't think you will find a thinner case that offers the protection that the LP cases do.
Here is a size listing I put together of the ones I have used:
The ATLAS™ Case:
5.37” (136.34mm) L
2.66” (67.56mm) W
0.62” (15.75mm) D
weighs 2.24 oz.

The LifeProof Fré is:
5.41” (137.5 mm) L
2.64” (67.1 mm) W
0.48” (12.2 mm) D
Weighs: 1.05 oz

Nüüd iPhone 5 case: