How do I prevent my iPhone screen from timing out?

Dec 29, 2007
How do I keep the iPhone screen bright when I am calling in to access my answering machine? Right now, by the time I have accessed it and it starts its reply, my screen is black before I can enter code numbers. I cannot find anything in the "settings" section.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
How do I keep the iPhone screen bright when I am calling in to access my answering machine? Right now, by the time I have accessed it and it starts its reply, my screen is black before I can enter code numbers. I cannot find anything in the "settings" section.

You need to go into settings under General then auto-lock and set a Time like 3 or 4 minutes, then your screen stays on longer.

Also as long as you are touching the screen it should stay on.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007

I think it will only go black while you are making a call if you cover the proximity sensor, so it thinks it is up to your face.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes i think that cdinca is on the right track , this is what you are talking bout right? that it goes black then you pull away from your ear it is to late to type anything, for this i have found that 2 things work,

1. speaker phone
2. using a head set.

it is a sensor, i have not seen a turn sensor off option on the phone

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I don't think you can change this. I asked at the Apple store and they told me the iPhone was set that way. But hey, it was also set without apps so maybe there is a way or will be a way.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I think the OP is unintentionally covering the sensor with their finger or something.

rgarjr

Bronze
Nov 19, 2007
U cannot turn these feature off. U can always have a little distance from the phone and your ear.

Dec 29, 2007
Screen going black

You need to go into settings under General then auto-lock and set a Time like 3 or 4 minutes, then your screen stays on longer.

Also as long as you are touching the screen it should stay on.

I have autolock at 5 minutes, but it doesn't seem to help. Thanks anyway.
SB.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I have autolock at 5 minutes, but it doesn't seem to help. Thanks anyway.
SB.

Just to try something different, plug in your headphones and try calling your answering machine while holding and looking at the iPhone. Let me know.

Dec 29, 2007
I think it will only go black while you are making a call if you cover the proximity sensor, so it thinks it is up to your face.
Unfortunately, when I am in a situation where there is background noise I have to hold the phone to my ear to listen for the answering-machine's reply, and no doubt the proximity sensor sees this. By the time I want to enter the required numbers, the screen is black. Annoying.
Thanks anyway,
SB

Dec 29, 2007
yes i think that cdinca is on the right track , this is what you are talking bout right? that it goes black then you pull away from your ear it is to late to type anything, for this i have found that 2 things work,

1. speaker phone
2. using a head set.

it is a sensor, i have not seen a turn sensor off option on the phone
Exactly.
Thanks,
SB

Dec 29, 2007
Just to try something different, plug in your headphones and try calling your answering machine while holding and looking at the iPhone. Let me know.
Yes, that works, thanks.
SB