How do I Put my newest app versions in iTunes?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

merlconn13

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Quick example. I have tiger woods and on my old phone and all my golfer stats are on it but when I added to my brand new 4S it was the old version that my iTunes previously had (went into the app store on the new phone and into previous purchases and clicking on the cloud with the down symbol). isn't there a way to sync the newest app versions to iTunes so u can transfer them to other devices. I Don't have the cloud on my old iPhone 4 since its jail broken and I didn't want to update. If I back up my old phone then update it will all the app info save so I can up it to the cloud and download it to the new phone?

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
I'm no expert on this, but there are many here in this forum. When a previously purchased app downloads to a new idevice, it does so as a new install.

I believe it's possible to restore your new phone from the old phone's backup in iTunes. Now if you sync the new one regularly, this option may not work for you as your backup already has the app in its current state.

EiC'ers am I correct here?

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

merlconn13

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
I have nothing on the new one but contacts and settings and my old pics. I was just wondering with the cloud if u could upload your apps to it from the old phone then download them to the new one. Only prob is my old one was jail broken so I was scared that if I updated to iOS 5 I would get an error or something. Is that not true?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
If you right-click the phone in the sidebar, and then hit transfer purchases, it will grab the apps that are on the device and replace any older versions in the iTunes library.

You can visit the Apps section of the sidebar to download the updated versions directly to the computer, or visit the Purchased page on the iTunes store on the computer to download items that you don't have in your iTunes library.

As for the app data itself, to transfer this saved data you may have to restore from the backup of your iPhone 4 in this case. Since you have not updated it due to the jailbreak, there is no possibility that the app can save data to iCloud even if it was updated to a version that supports saving its data to iCloud.

One other possibility is something like iExplorer - http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/ - which allows you to see your phone's file system. You might be able to drag the save files from your Tiger Woods game on the 4 to the same folder on the 4S. It's a little advanced, but might do what you want without having to wipe out other apps and data on the 4S.