How do I remove autofill email addresses?

1. umbrabellator

umbrabellator New Member
    Bronze

Does anyone happen to know how I can remove certain email addresses from the auto fill list in the iPhone?

Example: If I send an email to a particular address that I no longer want to send email to, how do I remove that address completely from the iPhone so it will no longer pop up when I start typing in a different (although similar) address?

I am thinking that these autofill addresses sync with Apple Mail in OS X, but am not sure of that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Steveo 90

Steveo 90 New Member
    Bronze

i believe it works when you delete them from your contacts in your mail provider
    at least it did for me

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. 767200

767200 New Member

I asked the same question a while ago with no answer. I contacted Apple several times and they had no idea how to do it.
    Finally we came out with an "alternative" way of deleting the autofilled email addresses. This is what I did (using PC):
    -Synched my iPhone
    -Then Restored my iPhone
    -Then either use a back up date prior to the time you emailed those contacts you want removed or restore it as a new iPhone altogehter.

I know it's a pain but it's the only way I found to get rid of those annoying addresses of my ihone's email .

Hope it helps

5. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Why can't you just delete the email address from the contact you no longer wish to email?

6. 767200

767200 New Member

You can, but when you go to your email, it will still autofill the address (if you have sent an email to that address from your iPhone before)

7. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

yes, you have to restore, and set your phone up as "new". This doesn't mean you need to activate again, but it wipes all your data.

8. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Really? I didn't know that. I thought it only parsed from your contacts (as I only ever email to my contacts)

9. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot
    Gold

Nope, giver her a try. Delete a contact that you have emailed, and it'll still save the the email address as an autofill.

10. umbrabellator

umbrabellator New Member
    Bronze

I can. But their email addresses stay in the auto-fill list for some inexplicable reason.

11. umbrabellator

umbrabellator New Member
    Bronze

How do I "restore it as a new iPhone altogether"?

Whenever I have restored in the past, the phone restores from a previous backup. This would, of course, not solve the problem.

So how would I restore to a completely fresh, blank iPhone with nothing being restored from a back-up?

12. Bone

Bone Zealot
    Gold

its gives you the option of restoring from back up or not. Just choose not to restore from backup.

13. 767200

767200 New Member

When you are restoring your phone it will ask you if you want to restore it from a previous back up or as a new iPhone. Select "new iPhone"

14. umbrabellator

umbrabellator New Member
    Bronze

Excellent!

Thank you everyone for your help. It is very much appreciated.

15. umbrabellator

umbrabellator New Member
    Bronze

Thanks again, everyone!

I restored this evening and it worked like a charm. It seems a little crazy to have to go to this much work, though. It's too bad that Apple didn't consider this one.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's help!

16. tat119

tat119 New Member

These are the kind of things that make me want to jailbreak............

17. kengelmann

kengelmann Member
    Bronze

Do your contacts transfer over when you do this?

18. rtdunham

rtdunham New Member

strangely, you CAN delete old email addresses from autofill in Mail on your computer: after entering a name and having an address appear in the email you're creating, hover the mouse over the long oval, just to the right of the address: a carat appears. Click on it, and a drop down menu shows choices, one of which is to delete the address in question from autofill. (you also need to make sure it doesn't appear in your contact book, of course).

but i can't find a way to make that same function in Mail on the iPhone. annoying, because i get accustomed to what addresses work with mail on my computer, and it's jarring/sometimes embarrassing when i don't get the same function with the same app (mail) using the same contact list (address book) on the phone.

seems like a bug in search of some fix-ative.

19. kengelmann

kengelmann Member
    Bronze

Hi, I know this is ancient history, but do your contacts transfer over when you select new phone?

20. Jim-z

Jim-z New Member

After all this time Apple will finally fix this promlem.
    It will be fixed on the release of IOS 14 No worries. People should not be allowed to change their email address anyway.

21. loopyl00

loopyl00 New Member

this piece of software allows you to see recent emails that you've used (not in your contacts) ibackupbot http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm

It uses the latest backup so backup before you start - then use the widget at the top to view recent email addressees, remove the offending ones and restore back to your phone - much better solution that going back to factory settings