How do I remove jailbreak and completely restore as new?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by irookie7592, Dec 3, 2012.

1. irookie7592

irookie7592 New Member

I bought an iPhone 4 off i guy i know and he said it's jailbroken. I just want to completely restore it as if i just bought it brand new. I don't know what he used to jailbreak it but he seems to think it could have been redsn0w but not certain. I've tried restorin through iTunes and am currently trying to erase all data and settings through the phones menus.

Any help would be much appreciated, really wan this back to normal!

Cheers :D

2. emhcee

emhcee Member
    Bronze

Just to be clear, when you say you've tried restoring through iTunes, do you mean you used the shift-option restore method? This should prompt you that you're going to take it back to factory base setup.

3. irookie7592

irookie7592 New Member

Yes i tried this but had no firmware to revert to?

4. emhcee

emhcee Member
    Bronze

Well for me, I have the option to select a firmware when I hold the Option button down and click Restore. But when I hold the Shift key and the Option key and click restore, it checks with Apple and does a factory restore. Sorry, I didn't realize that it looks locally for a version of the firmware when doing it that way. (And I can't test it, as I don't want to go down the route of restoring my phone! :) )

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just select 'update' in iTunes. It will download and install the latest firmware and remove the jailbreak. You don't have to restore to factory settings unless you're having problems with it.

Don't use the 'erase all content and settings' feature in the settings app on the phone if it's jailbroken. It causes it to get stuck at the boot logo and then you'll have to restore.