How do I remove the BSD subsystem?

Sep 15, 2007
is there a way to uninstall this app?

sorry if this was mention already.

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
How did you install it? If you did it via installer.app then yeah. If via ibrickr, then yeah.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Its called "don't install it this time after the next firmware upgrade"

Or at least thats my plan.

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
You see this in installer? Or no..?

Hey x999x why do you hate openssh :)

Last edited by a moderator:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I don't hate it, I like it. I just don't need 6 megs of stuff I'm not going to use, aka the BSD Subsystem. It doesn't uninstall, it only reinstalls itself, heh.

That kinda leaves one variable I can't control when my iPhone is acting quirky, and thats just not something I'm comfortable with. All I can do is reinstall it and hope that whatever problems I'm experiencing are indirectly affected.

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Ok never knew that. Good to know...

Sep 15, 2007
You see this in installer? Or no..?

yeah i see that. when i press on BSD Subsystem it says "reinstall" at the top right corner.

is there any way to take it off?

EDIT: oh.. thats gay. thanks for that info x999x

Kipper

Bronze
When I tried to DL the new Apollo 1.0 I got a msg saying that I need to install the BSD SubSystem first prior to the install and also it says to UN-install the original ApolloIM prior to the install of the new Apollo FYI everyone.

wisegrape

Sep 23, 2007
I too wanted to uninstall BSD Subsystem but couldn't through installer.app so I restored my phone then started loading installer.app over and being more selective on what I installed. It's a bummer that I can't install MobileFinder without BSD Subsystem. I can't install SummerBoard themes through iShare without MobileFinder as in this thread:

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/summerboard-themes-w-ishare-iphone-download.10001/

I felt with BSD Subsystem installed that my battery seemed to drain faster. Perhaps it's just that I was using my phone much, much more then before. With all of these new apps and themes it's difficult to not keep tweaking the phone and checking installer.app for updates. Not to mention my wireless router went out this week so I can't ssh to the phone anyway.
:(

blnkets

Oct 1, 2007
Does anyone have a method to remove BSD Subsystem, other than a total restore?

ACiDKOR

Oct 8, 2007
I was wondering does BSD Subsystem appear as a icon in the home screen or is it hidden?

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Id like to uninstall this as well.
What else needs BSD? I think when I loaded iLauncher it needed BSD, but Ive removed iLauncher so Im not sure what else I need to leave BSD on for. Does Dock, Customize or Summerboard need it?

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
What else needs BSD? I think when I loaded iLauncher it needed BSD, but Ive removed iLauncher so Im not sure what else I need to leave BSD on for. Does Dock, Customize or Summerboard need it?
Finder needs bsd.

Magicman

Sep 7, 2007
San Diego
Dock needs it.

Magicman

Sep 7, 2007
San Diego
DOH!

Are you sure Magicman, I thought I loaded Dock before BSD and it was working fine.
I'm sure it said I had to install bsd when I tried to install doc first. Tried because I wanted to save room, etc. Of course not being to uninstall it makes it problematic for me to double check :).