How do I restore previously jailbroken iPhone to factory condition?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Justin

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Meh, I searched, came up with 20+ pages that I went through, and still don't have the 100% answer.

I want to make my phone like it was out of the box again. I have jailbroken it, installed a few apps, uninstalled them, etc.

If I click restore, on iTunes, will that completely wipe the phone out, back to the software ver. it came with? (1.1.1)

If not, how do I do what I am trying to do?

I have backed up all my contacts, pictures, etc.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
When you Restore, you're phones software will first be extracted and deleted.

Then a new, fresh version of the Firmware you're currently running (You'll get 1.1.2, if you're running 1.1.2 now, etc.) will come straight from Apple.

It will be downloaded onto your phone. You will then will be told that the Restore is complete.

You will now have the option of either setting up the phone anew or restoring to saved backup. Select backup and click OK. This will put all of your Texts, Notes, and all the things that are not synced right back where they were.

Once that is complete, sync the iPhone. Everything is now back exactly where it was with no trace of 3rd Party Applications.

- John

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The over-kill method would be to use revirginizer on it. Total back to factory settings with that new iPhone smell!

paulomb

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
Monterrey, MX
if I have a 1.0.2 UNLOCKED with AnySIM1.0.2 do I have to revirginize before Restoring via iTunes?

Or just hit restore in iTunes and get my 1.0.2 version still unlocked but with no 3rd party apps...

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
if I have a 1.0.2 UNLOCKED with AnySIM1.0.2 do I have to revirginize before Restoring via iTunes?

Or just hit restore in iTunes and get my 1.0.2 version still unlocked but with no 3rd party apps...

To do a restore to 1.0.2, I don't believe you need to revirginize unless you want to be absolutely safe. However to do a restore to 1.1.1 or an upgrade to 1.1.1 (or 1.1.2), you need to make sure you revirginize the phone or you get the wonderful Incorrect SIM error.