How do I sell my 3G?

MeCool

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I had the original iPhone, sold it and bought the 3G..I like the 3G a lot but I wanna get my v1 back. I want to sell this 3G on ebay. Do I need to conact AT&T or Apple first? Am I stuck with this one in a contract? Whats the best way to do this? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks EIC.

Nutchos

Bronze
Jul 21, 2008
You could return it if you haven't used it for 30 minutes talk time or 30 days (whichever comes first). That's how rogers does it in Canada anyway.

Or just list it on ebay without a sim card.

MeCool

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
You could return it if you haven't used it for 30 minutes talk time or 30 days (whichever comes first). That's how rogers does it in Canada anyway.

Or just list it on ebay without a sim card.
thanks for the response..I called AT&T and she said she guesses I could sell my 3G but an original one on ebay and activate it...I figure since I've only had th 3G for 2 weeks I should still be able to go back to my 2G plan without penalty, right? The AT&T rep I spoke to did not seem too sure tho..the last thing I wanna do is sell my 3G buy another original iPhone on ebay and then find out I have to pay a penalty or somethig because I let my 3G go..anyone? Thanks.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Be very careful with this. I would think you are going to be faced with an ETF by breaking this contract. Unfortunately you can't depend on what ATT people tell you on matters like this. They are wrong more than they are right.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
What's the point of this? The 3G has everything of the V1 and more. Are you just trying to make money off the 3G? You're going to lose back whatever you make trying to buy a V1.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
All I am going to say on this matter is to make sure you wipe off all data on your phone.

MeCool

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
What's the point of this? The 3G has everything of the V1 and more. Are you just trying to make money off the 3G? You're going to lose back whatever you make trying to buy a V1.
Not trying to make any money off it..I'm know the original one is expensive on ebay too..can't find my receipt to return this 3G so selling it seems to be the only way..I do like the original one better too..It seems I bought the new iPhone for the 3G but anytime I turn the 3G on I lose all my bars..so it seems pointless almost to keep it and i should go back to the original..just my opinion but the original seems to be of better quality..i feel Apple cut a lot of corners to make this one cheaper..it's not the same. Still a great phone just not for me..i'm gonna check on the etf once more

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
You can cancel your 3G contract within 30 days of purchase, as Nutchos mentioned, but if you do this, you'll need to return the 3G back to AT&T. If you wait until after 30 days has passed, you can keep the 3G but you must pay the ETF of $175. Here's a quote from this Gizmodo article from a leaked AT&T memo:
To cancel service within the first 30 days, the customer must return their equipment to the place of purchase (no exceptions).
If the customer cancels service after 30 days, they will be charged the ETF. The customer is not required to return the device to cancel after 30 days.

So, if you really want to sell it, you should wait until after the 30 days have passed, pay the ETF, and then be sure to sell it for a high enough price to recoup what you paid for the iPhone and the ETF. Otherwise, return it within 30 days and cancel the 3G contract, find and buy a V1 iPhone, and start a new contract with AT&T.

Edit: Did you buy it directly from an AT&T store? I would think they wouldn't require a receipt to return it since they should have the transaction in their files.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
you don't pay anything unless you cancel your contract. Using your old 2g is not terminating your contract, just switch data plans.

It just means you can't upgrade for 2 years. Some people act like this is something new.

MeCool

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
you don't pay anything unless you cancel your contract. Using your old 2g is not terminating your contract, just switch data plans.

It just means you can't upgrade for 2 years. Some people act like this is something new.
THANK YOU! Exactly what I needed to know

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.

Not so sure about this. Not saying I am right or wrong, but you are canceling a contract. The contract was for a 3G phone which requires a $30 data plan. OP wants to go to a $20 data plan which includes 200 txt msg a month. This means lost revenue to ATT. Based on this, I am not so sure this wouldn't be considered canceling a contract.

MeCool

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Not so sure about this. Not saying I am right or wrong, but you are canceling a contract. The contract was for a 3G phone which requires a $30 data plan. OP wants to go to a $20 data plan which includes 200 txt msg a month. This means lost revenue to ATT. Based on this, I am not so sure this wouldn't be considered canceling a contract.
dturner i must say i am loving your ratatouille pic(sp?)

anyways..Thats what I am afraid of..true about the plan..AT&T said its fine but i would be a moron to listen to everything a rep told me

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
dturner i must say i am loving your ratatouille pic(sp?)

anyways..Thats what I am afraid of..true about the plan..AT&T said its fine but i would be a moron to listen to everything a rep told me
Thanks.
And you are absolute right about the ATT reps. You can ask 10 of them the same question and will get 10 different answers. I don't know where you get a straight answer, but IMO you might be nailed with an ETF.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
The contract was for a 3G phone which requires a $30 data plan.
The Contract is for 2 year Service Commitment, not a commitment to the iPhone. Yes the iPhone 3G requires a iPhone Data Plan, just like the Black Jack requires a Unlimited PDA Data Plan (for your protection since they use a lot of Data). If caught without it will be added to your account.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Not trying to make any money off it..I'm know the original one is expensive on ebay too..can't find my receipt to return this 3G so selling it seems to be the only way..I do like the original one better too..It seems I bought the new iPhone for the 3G but anytime I turn the 3G on I lose all my bars..so it seems pointless almost to keep it and i should go back to the original..just my opinion but the original seems to be of better quality..i feel Apple cut a lot of corners to make this one cheaper..it's not the same. Still a great phone just not for me..i'm gonna check on the etf once more
Apple didn't cut corners to make it cheaper. It's not cheaper. It's $40 more and it comes with 2 more hardware pieces (GPS and 3G). The plastic was used on the back in combination because plastic always better signal reception and transmission and also the fabrication is easier to get that rounded back which made possible stuffing in more hardware while keeping pretty much the same over all size.

I don't personally agree the old model was any better because of the metal backing, but I have heard other people say as such. I liked that the screen seemed nearly edge to edge, and now there's like an extra millimeter. The only thing you could possibly get out of swapping is a cheaper plan without 3G. If that's not what you're after you'll be trading down for worse battery life and a phone that's not as valuable for resale at some point.