how do I sell my V1

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
if I drove to the Apple store and got a 3g phone, I'd be left with my perfectly performing first gen phone. Currently it's running 2.0.1 firmware and is locked to ATT. Once the phone is no longer operational, how can I sell it? Will a potential buyer be able to use it? Any suggestions appreciated.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
About a week ago i sold my v1 iPhone on ebay for 330$. All I did was going into settings-> general ->reset -> Erase All Content and Settings.

I didn't even unlock mine, because the way I saw it, if someone wants to an unlocked phone they probably know how to do it themselves.

Also, the first person who "bought" my phone had a nigerian address and was obviously a fraud, but was still able to email me some semi-convincing paypal stuff. I reported him to eBay and set it up again, and the second buyer was from the US. All was well.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
great answer! This is what I want to hear...
It's easy. Wipe it like the guy said, but don't forget to remove your sim card. Try craigs lists, I got $300 for a locked v1, just like yours. And that way, no fees on paypal, shipping, or ebay. I got $400 for my v1 that was unlocked. So, if you take some time, unlock it before you leave to get your new 3g. It'll be easier that way....
and you'll make some $$$.:cool:

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
If you're going to wipe it, it would be best to do it completely, especially if you have some personal info in it like CC #s or other financial data. A good hacker can still potentially get personal information off of it even if you use the Erase All Content and Settings option. To do it completely requires jailbreaking and instructions can be found here. You'll get more for it if you unlock it and if you jailbreak it to wipe it, you might as well unlock it at the same time.

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
You can sell it here in the Marketplace, I know a lot of people are looking for one. I FOUND ONE HAAHAH I AM SOO EXCITEED HHAHAH

forkee

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
ebay is always good

despite the high cost of sellers fees and paypal fees, its your safest bet IF and only IF you do it the right way. AKA set the permits to only allow bidders that have a paypal verified address.

I ended up selling my v1 8 gig LAST WEEK for 600 bucks. it was unlocked and jailbroken on 2.0 and has cydia and installer on there.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I also sold my v1 phone (4gb) on ebay a couple of weeks ago. I got $315 which was great because I thought I wouldn't get as much for 4gb. But it was not jailbroken or unlocked and had the 2.0.0 upgrade. Basically the best way it sells is when you put Easily jailbreak/unlock. Thats what people are looking for, let them buy it as you have it and then they can figure it out themselves.
I personally will not sell internationally because of scams. Sell to U. S. only and a verified Paypal address only, you have to make it perfectly clear in your auction.

JimmyR

Aug 18, 2008
I've personally never sold anything on ebay before, but I was under the impression that you get paid before you mail off the item. I don't see how you could get scammed that way, since the payment has to clear first.
Maybe I'm just too naive :)

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I've personally never sold anything on ebay before, but I was under the impression that you get paid before you mail off the item. I don't see how you could get scammed that way, since the payment has to clear first.
Maybe I'm just too naive :)
You can get scammed if the buyer uses a stolen Paypal account. If/when the real account owner finds out, they can get their credit card company to reverse the charges, which they may do by trying to get the money out of your Paypal account.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
if I drove to the Apple store and got a 3g phone, I'd be left with my perfectly performing first gen phone. Currently it's running 2.0.1 firmware and is locked to ATT. Once the phone is no longer operational, how can I sell it? Will a potential buyer be able to use it? Any suggestions appreciated.
I sold mine on ebay. My 4 gigger sold for an amazing $315 dollars! I jalibroke it and unlocked it to make it more appealing. As long as it's activated, it can be used.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
Be careful when selling it. You don't want some con artist ripping you off!

ndmx52

Dec 29, 2007
I've had 2 people scam me so far on eBay and 4 on craigslist..... Now I'm just trying to get my eBay listing fees reversed.

Someone please buy my phone! I've had enough of this already.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
eBay. A guy in my office sold his for $385 two weeks ago.

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
U kno what I hate this, when I was looking to buy an iPhone NO ONE WANTED TO SELL ME ONE! NOW THAT I HAVE ONE, EVERYONE IS DESPERATE TO SELL THEIRS! C'MON PEOPLE! BAD TIMING MUCH?

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
You could give v1 to another family member. My husband got my v1. I think Eragon (Larry) was going to give v1 to his daughter.

Since I paid more for v1 than 3G I did not want to sell it. <<After I read that it sounds really silly. Man, I must be tired.

Pimpboy51

Bronze
Sep 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Well then wtf is the point of giving it away? so I can pay another 300+ for something I gave away? I don't think so!

Iceblinkluck

Bronze
Mar 30, 2007
Long Island NY
Try craigslist and sell it locally. Meet the person and accept cash only. Also maybe one of those independent cellular shops will take it off your hands. Worst that can happen is they say no thanks.

dito

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
I sold mine on ebay. My 4 gigger sold for an amazing $315 dollars! I jalibroke it and unlocked it to make it more appealing. As long as it's activated, it can be used.
so when you sell it, how do you activate it to give to your buyer?

dito

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
so my question is, i'm selling my iPhone 2G, V1. how do i have it set up so my buyer can use it in the "unlocked/jailbroken" way? i've wiped it clean according to this post. (very good, thanks) updated to 2.0.2 and quickpwn'ed it. i have cydia working, but am not sure about the "activation" part. how do i do this? thanks!