How do I send and receive texts on iPad?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I'd really like to start sending and receiving texts on my ipad. Any suggestions? Thanks again

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'd really like to start sending and receiving texts on my ipad. Any suggestions? Thanks again
You can use iMessages, but it will only work for contacts with iPhones, iPads, iMacs or iPod Touches. You'll need to have your them start texting your email address instead of your phone number. This will start a new texting thread for each one in your texting app. You can then reply to these from your iPad or your iPhone. They received messages will go to both devices after you add your email address to iMessages on the iPad and the iPhone.

If you want it to work for Android and Blackberry contacts, you'll have to use a third party texting app on your iPad.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Lol you sure did Napoleon. Europa, what I'd really like to use is whatsapp for my ipad. I can use my cell phone number beings whatsapp isn't installed on my iPhone. Any suggestions on how to load it? Thanks

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Europa is really the best! You'll really use a third app for your iPad if there's no slim slot
They still have to use a third party app for texting non-iDevices even if the iPad has a SIM card for cellular because that just gives you data off of WiFi rather than a phone number that works for cellular SMS, FaceTime or phone calls.

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Just a suggestion but on your iPad, you can get a app called Text Plus. They will give you a phone number to use. Then load WhatsApp and use that phone number to register it. You'll get the confirmation message on TextPlus for the WhatsApp app, then can confirm on WhatsApp. I think this works. Europa..I defer to your ultimate wisdom. :)