How do I sort by path in iTunes?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I must be daft or something. I can't figure out how to sort my music library by path. I have two libraries, one from my external hard drive which I can take anywhere and the other is my local hard drive. I need to add the salsa music from my local hard drive to a playlist. Where is the path column, and for that matter, is there a filename column?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
there is no path column... i'd try to offer an alternative solution, but i don't completely understand your problem...

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
He's saying that he wishes he could sort by the place in which iTunes is getting the music such as C:\Documents and Settings\Music or something like that because he has his music in folders on multiple hard drives and wants to know how he can sort by where its retrieving the music from. I wish iTunes had the same thing :(

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
Well I have the actual Mp3 file sorted in 3 different locations E:\Music and C:\documents and settings\jerred horsman\music. I added all the songs manually and don't have iTunes manage them because i don't want everything on my C: drive or all of them on my E: drive. I just wish there was a way that I could sort it so that it will group all my E: drive songs together and all my C: drive songs together

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Do people actually like iTunes? Seems like there's a lot that it can't do, and it doesn't offer anything extra, except for the ability to sync with iPods, but that's a limitation too.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
I like iTunes's sound quality A LOT actually, its really nice, atleast compared to WMP. I think its easier to just keep everything sleek and in one program, I don't want my music on a gajillion different programs, thats just annoying.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I like iTunes's sound quality A LOT actually, its really nice, atleast compared to WMP.
Do you like iTunes' sound quality, or do you like AAC's sound quality? Does iTunes have an equalizer, because WMP does. Right noe WMP sounds a lot better for me than iTunes because of that.
I think its easier to just keep everything sleek and in one program, I don't want my music on a gajillion different programs, thats just annoying.
Of course! Thats why I have the programs encode in MP3 instead of AAC or WMA, although I'm not an audiophile. But I can yell tell stupid iPhone predictive text screwing my words up tell when there's too much bass and there's too much bass in iTunes and not in WMP because I can turn it down in WMP.

So, even if AAC does sound betty for YOU, what about iTunes itself? I find it slow and clunky. The interface just isn't as easy to navigate as other audio programs. Example: display JUST a list of all jazz music, with no other panes visible. I do t think you can do it, the list of genres has to always be visible if you want to filter out the other genres. That's clunky.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
iTunes does have an EQ, although it is not custom. It only has presets... just like iPods.

the other thing about iTunes is that is uses about 3-4x the memory of windows media player. despite all that, i use it purely for convenience.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
The EQ can be completely customized, you just start moving the sliders and it switches it to "Manual" they just renamed what is considered to be custom. I don't use AAC ever in iTunes actually....I always use 192-320kbps MP3 encoded stuff, its just easier because thats the universal format, usually when I listen to music I only do that and surf the web so memory isn't that big of a concern to me.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Ah, I found the eq. Funny, it wasn't there last night. LOL It does have manual controls too. Although still doesn't sound great.

I found the "show duplicates" feature too. Not too bad, but does it just compare titles or the song? Bet it's just the title, which kinda sucks since I have a lot of duplicates with different titles and filename. oh well, it's a start.