How do I stop from losing ringtones when I sync?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I'm using iTunes 7.5 and firmware 1.1.2, jailbroken but not unlocked.

I have some ringtones I made myself from earlier, and iTunes still wipes them out when I sync. I have a .Tapp command line that swaps back my ringtones plist with the correct ringtones in them, and I have to run this and reboot my iPhone every time I sync if I want to hear my custom ringtones.

I got the .tapp fix from Tinman. But I recall you had another fix - a symlink - to prevent iTunes from messing with your ringtone plist at all. I did a search, and there wasn't enough info for me to get that workaround running correctly. You said you get an error msg when you sync, but your plist gets left alone. I'd gladly trade ignoring an error message over running tapp and rebooting after every sync.

Any chance you could kindly go over the steps needed to create a symlink for those of us with no prior symlink experience?

Thanks!

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
Guess what? If you make your ringtone and put it in the iTunes ringtone folder by making it a .mr4 extension file, then it will not remove your ringtone after you synch. It will actually synch your ringtone on everytime because it is viewed by iTunes to be a legitimate iTunes ringtone.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Guess what? If you make your ringtone and put it in the iTunes ringtone folder by making it a .mr4 extension file, then it will not remove your ringtone after you synch. It will actually synch your ringtone on everytime because it is viewed by iTunes to be a legitimate iTunes ringtone.
You know what...this is a much better solution.

I've been avoiding doing this because I thought it would be so much work to convert all my custom ringtones, but I was wrong. They were already in .m4a format anyway, all I had to do was change the extension to .m4r and drag them into the ringtone tab in iTunes. Sheesh, so easy!

All this time I've been messing around with SwapTunes and .tapp command lines, when I could have had a V8!