How do I stop the App Store from opening in Safari?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by KenSolo, Jun 5, 2014.

1. KenSolo

KenSolo Member
    Bronze

Do anyone know how to stop the App Store from opening while on Safari?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've had it happen several times and I find it very annoying. I think I accidentally tapped a link while scrolling. I'm not aware of a way to stop it.

3. KenSolo

KenSolo Member
    Bronze

I really hope Apple is aware of this. I hate being redirected to Candy Crush 20 times a day.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I've not had this happen since I started to use Safari instead of Chrome a few days ago.

5. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

I am not sure it only happens in Safari. I have been redirected to the App Store focused on a game app several times while reading news articles accessed via the Facebook app and I can swear I did not click on any link accidentally, not least as the news articles I was accessing did not feature the game or had banners leading to the game in any way.

6. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

There are a lot apps and websites that have spam links to apps in the App Store. I get it all the time too, which makes me more careful about how I pinch and/or scroll when I'm reading/playing something. I don't think there is anything that can be done to stop the links from opening. You can try disabling the App Store in the restrictions settings, but not sure that would work...

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I had initially thought I had errantly clicked on a link, but as @jmp316 notes, these are some sort of spammy ads.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I've noticed being redirected to a game when I did not touch a link or anything. It's like the link is camouflaged in some way. I go back and look to see what I may have done, but there's nothing close to where I had my finger.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I blame Facebook.

10. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

From what I have seen, it happens in both Safari and Chrome. As it has been stated, there is not really anything you can do about it. I would just be more careful about what you click on.

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

The new iOS 8 beta 2 has a fix for this very problem. "Safari now blocks ads from automatically redirecting to the App Store without user interaction."

12. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

Awesome. In the meantime I disabled the App Store from restrictions and so far, I haven't been redirected once.