How do I sync contacts from phone back to computer?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I'm preparing my phone to download the new update. I have contacts synched from my Outlook address book and those that have been "manually" added. How do I sync back to my computer contacts that have been manually added to my phone?

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm preparing my phone to download the new update. I have contacts synched from my Outlook address book and those that have been "manually" added. How do I sync back to my computer contacts that have been manually added to my phone?
dude i have the same question i wanted to do that too but i don't think you can, i think the only fast way i know how to do it its to take the contacts and do a back up and open it at the other computer into iTunes.

hope this helps!
good luck

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
It doesn't just add them to outlook?

Duuno :( I've had the phone since day one and after syncing the contacts from Outlook, I've never synched contacts again. Since then of course I've munually added many that are not in Outlook which I sure would hate to loose :)

I've searched in a couple of forums and re-read the manual but can't seem to assure myself that all will be well.

My update "should" go well and everything "should" be put back just like it was however I would rather be safe than sorry by backing them up "someplace".

Maybe somebody will come along shortly who can help us out. Off to get a haircut!

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
My contacts were retained ONCE I had them on my iPhone. Mind you I did not do the 1.1.1 update, however I did notice my preserved contacts when I did the 1.0.2 update.

I don't want to push you over the edge, I'm just stating the obvious here, and thats once the data is on your phone it is backed up during every sync from then on via iTunes.

The Only part of your iPhone that is not backed up are the Digital Camera Folders, that is treated as it's own entity, hence the double USB connection chimes whenever the phone is docked with a PC, one for the phone and one for the camera.

Give Apple some credit, you think they want to reenter their contacts?

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Thanks, mine were fine after the last update as well and I suspect that they will be fine this time as well however.....if for some reason I should have to restore (there have afterall been a few reported update issues even with untampered with phones) I would simply like to back up my contacts first.

If it's not possible, then fine but it doesn't hurt to ask.

And no, I do not think Apple is stupid:)

hoits2000

Bronze
Mar 15, 2007
I lost my contacts when i updated to 1.02, haven't done the 1.1.1 yet, I heard somewhere that you had to go to the the phone file on the phone and copy the addressbook file, but your phone has to be modded for that.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
All that worry for nothing :) my update went flawlessly and everything was just like it was before, contacts, photo's (even those in the camera roll), notes, bookmarks everything. All is well :)