How do I sync phone data with computer

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
My OS required reinstallation. I restored a backup that predated my iTunes installation. So now I have all my data on my phone, and nothing on the computer.

How do i perform a sync whereby the data on the phone will be synced with the computer?

iTunes gives me a message that it is about to "overwrite" the data on the phone with the data on the computer(which is nada), and erase the phone. I don't want this to happen.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
on your first sync, iTunes should give you an option to "merge" the data on the iPhone and computer. This will put all of the contacts on your iPhone onto your computer.

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
iTunes didn't.

So, how do I "merge" my music, pictures, contacts from the iPhone to iTunes?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
regarding music and videos, you're out of luck... but there are probably third party programs that can pull that data off... someone else might have a link handy.

As to why iTunes isn't asking you to merge your contacts, i'm not sure. It should ask whenever it detects a discrepancy between your iPhone and computer.

shawn

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
I found a nice little program called "iPhonebrowser" to do the job.

Apple slays me. It's ironic that if this product(my iPhone), were an "inferior" Microsoft compatible device, all I would have to do is drag-and-drop as a plug-n-play drive.

If I didn't know better, Id say that MS and Apple collude to make sure that neither becomes truly dominant in simplicity and ease of use.

Skeletor

Sep 12, 2007
If I didn't know better, Id say that MS and Apple collude to make sure that neither becomes truly dominant in simplicity and ease of use.
hehe, true. My main complaint with the iPhone right now is not being able to play music that is stored on my phone through iTunes. I noticed the other day that I can redownload the music I've purchased through iTunes and listen to that, but any other music I have on the phone is just grayed out. I don't even want to copy the music to my Mac/PC ... I just want to listen to it through my headphones while they are plugged into the Mac/PC.