How do i take out iTunes contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by northwalker, Oct 30, 2008.

1. northwalker

northwalker New Member

My iPhone is dead, how do i retrieve my contacts from the iPhone's backup on iTunes?

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

i don't think you can. but they should be in your outlook, outlook express, windows mail, entourage, or mail.app address books.

3. dturner

dturner Zealot
    Gold

I don't know the name for this type of file, but the backup file isn't one you can "open" and retrieve information from. As Hippo said, the info should be on your computer unless you entered the contacts directly to the phone and didn't backup.

4. Kabeyun

Kabeyun Member
    Silver

It can probably be done, but only if you're very ambitious. If you're a Mac user, your iPhone backup files reside in [user]/Library/Application Support/MobileSync. The files are in .mdbackup format and will appear as gobbledygook if opened with a text editor. From here, it helps to be comfortable with UNIX or PERL commands, but there are utilities to extract these files for your perusal.

As the others said, the easiest way is simply to restore your iPhone. Unless of course, the backup files belong to someone else (shame shame! ;)).

-K

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

i don't see why iTunes would include contacts in its backups anyway... the address books in your email client ARE your contacts backups. It was my impression that the iTunes iPhone backups are for app files, texts, settings, notes, etc... things that aren't already stored on your computer.

suppose i am wrong, though... if your contacts ARE in the backup, then just restore from the backup!

6. psylichon

psylichon Genius

If you don't specifically elect to sync your data with an external program like Outlook or iCal or Address Book or what have you, the only place iTunes does save your contacts/calendar/bookmarks is in the proprietary full iPhone backup file. That is the default, and it is rather dangerous if you think about it.

Lotsa folks get screwed by this.

7. northwalker

northwalker New Member

i added my contacts one by one on the iPhone, they ARE saved on the iTunes backup, since every time i restored i got them back. my iPhone is dead= broken, can't use it anymore. I only need someway to view my contacts so i can copy them and move them to the new phone i got (which isn't an iPhone). i know where the .mdbackup files are stored in my computer, by i don't know how to extract the contacts out of them.
    I did connected my gmail account to my iPhone, does this means my contacts are saved on my gmail?

8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

no, I believe you need a specific application to sync contacts to gmail.

9. northwalker

northwalker New Member

crap.. so what do i do?
    my idea was to get an iPhone from a friend, restore it and use my backup, then copy the contacts and write them or something and then restore it back to his backup.. is there any easier way than that?

10. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

what i would do is restore that iPhone with your backup, and then sync your contacts to the address book on your computer. To do this, open iTunes, plug in your iPhone, click on the "info" tab on your iPhone page. At the top there should be some options for syncing contacts. Choose the program you want to store your contacts. If you have XP, you will at least have outlook express. If vista, then you'll at least have Windows Mail. You may also have outlook. If you're on a Mac, then you can either use entourage, address book, or use mobileme.

11. northwalker

northwalker New Member

dude.. the iPhone is saying "please connect to iTunes" and restore gives errors.. (see above).

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I meant to do all of that win your friend's iPhone... Sorry about the confusion.

13. northwalker

northwalker New Member

ohh... :) thanks then.. first i need to get a friend's iPhone though :p

14. carterlinba

carterlinba New Member

iTunes will automatically create a backup of your iPhone settings, contacts, messages, etc (the one you refer to).
    Simply connect your iPhone to your computer, run iTunes, and restore the iPhone from backup. Whem prompted from what backup to restore, choose the latest backup entry available.

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Did you even read the OPs post? 1: its from 2008! 2: they said the phone was dead....

Sent using iCafe app

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Sometimes, as a ref, you just gotta let the players play...:D

17. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

You're kidding right. From you?

Sent using iCafe app

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Good. It got the reaction I expected. You're so easy. :D