How do I transfer music, photos from iMac to new iMac

VALET dude

Bronze
Oct 16, 2007
Las Vegas
well i have the 20" iMac (aluminum with camera) for almost a year now. i bought it 2 months before the leopard program came out so mine is the non leopard version :(. anyhow, im thinking of upgrading to the 24" iMac with the leopard already in it. so my question is this....

1.) how would i get all my pictures from my old mac to the new one when i get it?

2.) how would i get all my movies and music thats in my iTunes now?

thats all i can think of for now, but im sure i have more questions as the day goes :laugh2:

thanks in advance :)

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I do believe that Apple offers free data transfer services for new computers. I would definitely look into it. I'm actually in the market for a new iMac as well. Time to replace my 5 year old desktop PC.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Apple will transfer all of your data free of charge, doesn't matter if you currently run a mac or pc. This is a free service they offer at their Apple store locations. If you don't purchase your new baby from an Apple store, have no fear. OS X has a migration assistant that will help you transfer via USB / Firewire your data. I am on my 4th Mac and have never lost an iTunes song or video. (I had a PC about 4 years ago!) .. I always backup my iTunes library to an external drive. I wouldn't want to lose it.