How do I turn passcode "OFF" on the 3GS?

1. TMass518 New Member Bronze

How do I turn the bloody passcode off on my 3Gs? I go to settings and general but I see no option to turn it off.

2. fury Evangelist Gold

Should be below Auto-Lock and above Restrictions.

If it's not there, is this your phone or a company phone? Reason I ask is that businesss-provided phones can be set to require a passcode lock.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. TMass518 New Member Bronze

It is my personal phone.......but the passcode came up when I set it up to access my company email account via OWA. Maybe my company has the rule that for the account to stay I have to have a passcode on my phone. I need to check further in to this. Thanks for the feedback.

5. TMass518 New Member Bronze

Let me clarify a little bit....I can see passcode in settings; I can change passcode; change the timeout but nowhere do I see an option , button or switch to turn it off.

6. fury Evangelist Gold

The option to turn it off would be right there next to where it lets you change it. Sounds like your Exchange connection has set it up with a policy to require the passcode.

7. rfischer2 New Member

I think it is 3.0 I have a 16GB 3G and went in to change it to off and I'm not able to as well. It only gives the option to change the code but there is no toggle for OFF. I'm also our Exchange administrator and we don't have any restrictions to force the use of a phone passcode. THe phone passcode has nothing to do with the Exchange Active Sync.

8. Europa Genius Senior Moderator

I just checked and this is what mine looks like (on 3.0) Settings->General->Passcode->input 4 digit code-> and then it gives the following options; Turn passcode off, change passcode, require passcode immediately/after 1 minute/after 5 minutes/ete, erase data.

9. rfischer2 New Member

Thanks. I didn't go that far as I did not want/need to change my passcode. Would be easier if it were just an option up front.

10. Europa Genius Senior Moderator

Easier, yes, but it would render the feature useless. If you lose your phone, you don't want someone to be able to turn the passcode off. If you have it set to "1 hour" and you lose it fifteen minutes after you input the code, someone who finds it will be able to access it (for 45 minutes) but you don't want them to be able to turn it off (or change it to a number you don't know so you can't access it if you get it returned). That is the rationale behind requiring the passcode be entered before it can be turned off.

11. rfischer2 New Member

Great point. I hadn't thought of it that way. I usually press my lock button before I put it down or away.

12. bhayes8 New Member

How do you turn off the erase data feature. My on/off switch is grayed out. And I only have two failed passcode attempts before my phone erases? Help

13. stevetim New Member Silver

Find the owner of the phone and ask what the passcode is.

14. Europa Genius Senior Moderator

It's very easy if you know the passcode ;)
    Settings ->General ->Passcode lock->enter your passcode->Switch the Erase Data toggle from on to off.

15. bhayes8 New Member

The on/off switch for erase data is grayed out meaning it won't let me switch turn it on or off/

16. jayb New Member

I had the same problem and it is an Exchange setting preventing you from changing your passcode. If using Exchange server 2007 go into Organization configuration the client access then double click windows SB5 mobile mailbox then under password uncheck the "require password" box. Then you will be able to turn passcode off.