How do I unlock iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by markshort70, Jul 1, 2011.

1. markshort70

markshort70 New Member

Hi all, I've just upgraded to the iPhone 4, but my mate wants to buy my 3GS.

The problem is the phone is (I presume) locked onto the O2 network and he's on a Three contract. Is there any way of unlocking it? I know it can be done with jailbreaking but he doesn't want to do that.

Any help would be great!

Mark

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread moved to the iPhone Unlock section.

4. markshort70

markshort70 New Member

Thanks for the info.

I've had a bit of a mare though I was browsing the form page, and thought I'd check first weather I'll get charged.

My contract is paid up but doesn't end until the 8th of July, but I have ported my number to my new phone which is on Vodafone.

So this is the mare bit I thought I was emailing them, but to begin with you fill in a few details, I did this I then got a message saying my request to unlock my phone had been sent! At this point your obviously thinking I'm thick (which it seems is true) but I'm at work and was trying to do about three things at once.

So now I could end up getting charged for something I was just enquiring about. I was just going to give the buyer instructions on how.

If your interested I'll keep you posted on where my stupidity gets me and how much it hurts my pocket!

Cheers
    Mark

5. Matthew Martinez

Matthew Martinez New Member

I recently turned on a new line with tmobile, and i assumed since tmobile is a new carrier, i wouldn't have to unlock my iPhone 3gs. Apparently, i do. Can anyone help me, im completely lost and i wouldn't know where to being unlocking this device.

6. Matthew Martinez

7. markshort70

markshort70 New Member

The link will work if your an O2 customer, but I'm sure T Mobile have something similar, could be a good idea to ring them!

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Yes. I did this when I had a 3GS.

9. Matthew Martinez

Thank you so much. I will give it a try

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

When I used o2's unlocking form, it took about 8 days. You'll get a pop-up iTunes stating that your phone is unlocked.

11. Matthew Martinez

what if the phone number on the phone says unknown?

12. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Surely you know your own number....

13. markshort70

markshort70 New Member

I've just received a message telling me my phone is now unlocked.

But now I could do with knowing if it can now be swapped from network to network or will it lock to the first sim inserted?

Cheers
    Mark

14. Matthew Martinez

i don't. ill find it though.

15. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

If you bought the iPhone used and it didn't say it was factory unlocked then it most likely was a used AT&T iPhone. It will be locked to use on AT&T and you can't use it on T-Mobile unless you unlock it. To see if you can unlock it you'll have to search on this site because it all depends on what your version is. You'll understand more as you read about it.

Of course someone here will do this for you but in the end if you don't learn it then the next time an update comes out you'll be back at square one asking the same questions. Been there done that so I just learned about it. Everything you need is in this forum just do some searches.

I use mine on T-Mobile with a pre-paid sim card when I'm in the States but I bought mine in Germany and it's factory unlocked.

16. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

I forgot to add in order to unlock it you'll have to jailbreak it so I'd start reading about that on the jailbreak section tutorials.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Matthew, you're on T-Mobile so the O2 unlocking form will be of no use. Please post your firmware version and baseband. Even if you're running the latest firmware/baseband, you can unlock with the iPad's baseband or use a Gevey sim ultra unlock. If you have an older baseband, a software unlock with ultrasn0w may be possible.

Go to Settings > General > About > and post your version and modem firmware.

18. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

If the company that sold it to you says it's unlocked then it's unlocked. The easiest way to know is to place a sim card from another company in it and see if it works. If it's not unlocked it won't hurt your phone or the borrowed sim card.

19. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

currently in the US, the ONLY 2 ways to get an unlocked phone is either purchasing an unlocked phone from Apple (AT&T STILL will not unlock and refers people to Apple, who refers people to AT&T) at the Full price +$50,
    OR if you already have the phone and haven't upgraded to the latest baseband (iOS4.3.3) then you might be able to unlock using ultrasn0w. The key there is that the phone has to be jailbroken and has to have an early enough baseband to be unlockable.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Actually, there are two more ways. Matthew has a 3GS so he can use the iPad's baseband. The Gevey sim ultra would be the other option.