How do I unlock my iPhone 5 to any network for free

Jon6569

Oct 17, 2014
How do I unlock my iPhone 5 to any network for free? I have tried loads of sites and they all end up asking for money! Thanks in advance.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Are you out of contract? If so, it's nothing more than a phone call to your carrier. Some carriers will let you request the unlock online.

I don't know if there is a free way. If you are in contract, there are numerous services on eBay. The cost is much higher these days for in-contract devices.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I just did this yesterday with my iPhone 6 on AT&T..

I tried the online tool but it responded that I was in contract, which I am not.. Called customer service and they resolved the issue pretty fast..

I received the unlocking email last night but it says for me to wait 24 hours before doing it..

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
Just to update this thread..

I followed the unlocking instruction that AT&T emailed me and all went smooth.

I received a pop up in iTunes that said my phone was unlocked.. I don't see any way to confirm this however other than trying a sim card from another carrier..

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just to update this thread..

I followed the unlocking instruction that AT&T emailed me and all went smooth.

I received a pop up in iTunes that said my phone was unlocked.. I don't see any way to confirm this however other than trying a sim card from another carrier..
It's unlocked if you got the congratulations popup in iTunes. Verifying it with a T-Mobile SIM isn't really necessary.

Did you pay full cost for the 6?

Kratos

Sep 20, 2016
I do not believe that there are any free iPhone Unlocking solutions. For AT&T USA you can of course call them, but not all mobile networks allow that.

Is there a list with the whole carriers that support this (To call them once the contract is finished and unlock it for you)?