How do i update my iPhone 4 games via another account?

Oct 25, 2011
When i first got my iPhone, i didn't have an itune account, so my friend got me all the games, now i got my own account, but i cant update games since i need the original account that bought the game to update it.

I thought maybe if i buy the game i could then update it on my account, but it still asks for my friends account.

i don't want to delete the games, since i don't want to start all over.

Anyone know how to fix this without losing my saved files?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Unfortunately, the .ipa has DRM that locks it to your friend's iTunes account name. The only way I see this happening is if the game allows you to back up saved data to a server or a file, then deleting it and reinstalling it from your ID.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
What Fury is saying, in plain langauge, is that items downloaded from their account is locked / authorized to that particular account and can't be shared, legally, with others.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Yeah, sorry about that, I get a little nerd wordy sometimes without realizing it. You won't be able to update it without deleting it or entering your friend's account info.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Yeah, sorry about that, I get a little nerd wordy sometimes without realizing it. You won't be able to update it without deleting it or entering your friend's account info.
We all do that. Just like to be accurate and thorough. Lol
Just glad and hope I made the translation correctly. Hahha

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So the best way to handle this is to delete them from iTunes on your computer and on your phone and then purchase them with your account.