How do I use my iPhone and G4 In Europe?

hmlaa

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
I am traveling to England tomorrow and I need to use my G4 Laptop and my iPhone in my hotel in England. Can anyone tell me EXACTLY what I need to buy so I can use my things in England. Thank you very much!

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I thought the highest was g3

No, it is a G4 laptop.

Unless you have some kind of cost efficient plan, it will be very expensive. I have read where people go there and unknowingly come back to a $1500 phone bill. Most threads said to have your phone on airplane mode when traveling there.

So research for a plan to connect to while there. The Apple phone company in england there is the O2 company, so see about a plan with them.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Look up 02.

Otherwise, like KNK said, you may be faced with a whopper of a bill. I've heard quite a few stories of that happening.

- John

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
O2 will not let you sign up for a plan (even pre-paid) unless you have a UK address. And, if you provide one for a friend, you'll get an O2 sim card that won't work in your iPhone unless it's unlocked. You're pretty much stuck with AT&T rates, and as mentioned, they don't look pretty. Darn shame, too.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I am traveling to England tomorrow and I need to use my G4 Laptop and my iPhone in my hotel in England. Can anyone tell me EXACTLY what I need to buy so I can use my things in England. Thank you very much!

I would call AT&T and talk to them, tell them where you are going, and I am sure they will have some kind of plan for you.

Let us know, many more people want to know.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I think you're basically stuffed. If you're needing to make a lot of calls in the uk, I'd walk into a phone shop as soon as you arrive here and pick up a pay-as-you-go cheep-as-you-like phone for £50 and use that.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I think you're basically stuffed. If you're needing to make a lot of calls in the uk, I'd walk into a phone shop as soon as you arrive here and pick up a pay-as-you-go cheep-as-you-like phone for £50 and use that.

That's what I did when I spent a lot of time there. Got a cheap Nokia, unlocked it, and got a prepaid sim from Orange. Still needed a UK address, so I used my colleagues.

I would also suggest checking out Skype if you haven't already. Using it when possible cut down on my phone expenses dramatically, especially for calls home during the evening.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
O2 doesn't ask for an address if you walk into a shop and buy a sim-card. I picked one up the other week to go in an iPhone I'd jailbreaked for a friend. Handed over a £10 note and they activated it and put £10 of credit on the SIM without me giving a name or address. I was really surprised, I thought all the anti-terrorism stuff had caught up with phone operators.

I look like a terrorist as well.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Hmm. I originally had the phone on O2 and switched to Orange and now can't remember why, nor can I recall if they asked me for an address at the time.