How do I use my iPhone and G4 In Europe?

hmlaa

Bronze
Jun 10, 2007
I am traveling to England tomorrow and I need to use my G4 Laptop and my iPhone in my hotel in England. Can anyone tell me EXACTLY what I need to buy so I can use my things in England. Thank you very much!

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I thought the highest was g3

No, it is a G4 laptop.

Unless you have some kind of cost efficient plan, it will be very expensive. I have read where people go there and unknowingly come back to a $1500 phone bill. Most threads said to have your phone on airplane mode when traveling there.

So research for a plan to connect to while there. The Apple phone company in england there is the O2 company, so see about a plan with them.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Look up 02.

Otherwise, like KNK said, you may be faced with a whopper of a bill. I've heard quite a few stories of that happening.

- John

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
O2 will not let you sign up for a plan (even pre-paid) unless you have a UK address. And, if you provide one for a friend, you'll get an O2 sim card that won't work in your iPhone unless it's unlocked. You're pretty much stuck with AT&T rates, and as mentioned, they don't look pretty. Darn shame, too.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Dude...The OP said her G4 Laptop...and an iPHONE, it does not have anything to do with G3 service they have in Europe.
LMAO! I think the guy was just yanking your chain, KNK...(if you'll pardon the expression).

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
LMAO! I think the guy was just yanking your chain, KNK...(if you'll pardon the expression).
Let's hope so, because otherwise he's not very bright and doesn't read the previous posts

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I am traveling to England tomorrow and I need to use my G4 Laptop and my iPhone in my hotel in England. Can anyone tell me EXACTLY what I need to buy so I can use my things in England. Thank you very much!

I would call AT&T and talk to them, tell them where you are going, and I am sure they will have some kind of plan for you.

Let us know, many more people want to know.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I think you're basically stuffed. If you're needing to make a lot of calls in the uk, I'd walk into a phone shop as soon as you arrive here and pick up a pay-as-you-go cheep-as-you-like phone for £50 and use that.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I think you're basically stuffed. If you're needing to make a lot of calls in the uk, I'd walk into a phone shop as soon as you arrive here and pick up a pay-as-you-go cheep-as-you-like phone for £50 and use that.

That's what I did when I spent a lot of time there. Got a cheap Nokia, unlocked it, and got a prepaid sim from Orange. Still needed a UK address, so I used my colleagues.

I would also suggest checking out Skype if you haven't already. Using it when possible cut down on my phone expenses dramatically, especially for calls home during the evening.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
O2 doesn't ask for an address if you walk into a shop and buy a sim-card. I picked one up the other week to go in an iPhone I'd jailbreaked for a friend. Handed over a £10 note and they activated it and put £10 of credit on the SIM without me giving a name or address. I was really surprised, I thought all the anti-terrorism stuff had caught up with phone operators.

I look like a terrorist as well.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Hmm. I originally had the phone on O2 and switched to Orange and now can't remember why, nor can I recall if they asked me for an address at the time.