How do Pre Orders Work?

TheAtreidesHawk

Bronze
Jun 7, 2010
How much do you need to put down to get a preorder and save one for yourself on Launch Day.

More importantly if I chose to pick it up in the store that means that no matter what the Apple Store HAS to put mine aside correct? It doesn't matter if I camp out in line to be there first thing in the morning or if I come in the afternoon. There WILL be one iPhone 4 set aside with my name on it right?

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
I want to know the answer to this too. I'm going to pre-order from Apple.com. I want to know if I will be charged the full price of the iPhone 4 right there and then through my debit card. Or will it be pending till the 24th? Or partial pay, then pay the rest on 24th? Or nothing will be deducted, and just pay the full price on the 24th? Please someone let me know because I don't get paid till the 25th.

TheAtreidesHawk

Bronze
Jun 7, 2010
That's why I'm asking too...I want to make sure I have the right amount of money available that week....

So if anyone has done this before please enlighten us. Would greatly appreciate it.

lamar99

Bronze
Dec 8, 2007
Wanted to know myself so I called a AT&T store. The woman I talked 2 said that they will handle pre-orders 1st and then everyone else. So I think I will preorder and pick up now versus delivery.

lamar99

Bronze
Dec 8, 2007
I preordered the 3gs and I used my debit card for the 199 plus tax but we did it as a credit and I believe the money didn't actually move until it was shipped. Sorry can't remember 4 sure.

krisobe

Jul 20, 2007
Also another question. If I preorder from Apple.com, can I pick up on the 26th?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Your credit/debit card will charged before it ships. They will probably ship around the 21st.

It will be released on the 24th. You can pre-order and pick it up in the store that day or have it shipped to your house and delivered in the late morning with free shipping.

TheAtreidesHawk

Bronze
Jun 7, 2010
As far as picking it up on the 24th though do I or do I NOT have to be there early in the morning in order to get it?

As long as I've preordred it I can drop by at any time (before they close for the day of course) and pick up the new iPhone? I don't mind camping out but I just want to know if its necessary or not.

Lastly anyone have any idea if they take Discover?

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
I actually have 2 questions. If I pre order do I get mine in the order I reserved mine? i.e. If 20 people preordered and I was the 21st are there 20 set aside before mine? The reason I'm asking is that I can't swing the $299 till I get paid on the 18th and the guy at my local AT&T said they have no clue how many they will have on hand. I don't want to be the 21st in line and they only receive 20 and I have to wait till the second shipment. Second question is how will a third party retailer like radio shack or walmart know I'm eligible for an upgrade?

MyRichLife

Zealot
Gold
Nov 19, 2009
South Florida.
I actually have 2 questions. If I pre order do I get mine in the order I reserved mine? i.e. If 20 people preordered and I was the 21st are there 20 set aside before mine? The reason I'm asking is that I can't swing the $299 till I get paid on the 18th and the guy at my local AT&T said they have no clue how many they will have on hand. I don't want to be the 21st in line and they only receive 20 and I have to wait till the second shipment. Second question is how will a third party retailer like radio shack or walmart know I'm eligible for an upgrade?
All Radio Shack & Walmart would have to do is basically run your name and cell phone number in your carrier's account database to see if your eligible for an upgrade.

RyCan3

Jun 9, 2010
York, PA
As far as picking it up on the 24th though do I or do I NOT have to be there early in the morning in order to get it?

As long as I've preordred it I can drop by at any time (before they close for the day of course) and pick up the new iPhone? I don't mind camping out but I just want to know if its necessary or not.

Lastly anyone have any idea if they take Discover?
i was told that on the 24th i would need to be there bright and early in the morning because they are only getting a limited amount in even if they don't have enough to cover preorders. so i would recommend camping out.

MyRichLife

Zealot
Gold
Nov 19, 2009
South Florida.
i was told that on the 24th i would need to be there bright and early in the morning because they are only getting a limited amount in even if they don't have enough to cover preorders. so i would recommend camping out.
If thats the case and you show up on the time of the release and they don't have your pre ordered phone to give you...You can ask them to find you another AT&T store in stock with one.

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
For all of you guys that are in the situation as I am in I do not get paid until the Friday after the 15th I am going to be going into Radio Shack and all you need is $50 down and they will reserve your phone and you will be able to go and pick it up on the 24th I have never done a Radio Shack pre order or anything like that before I have always done my businesss straight through Apple or AT&T but this time I am going to get mine at the shack.

EDIT: Also I was told my AT&T that if you are pre ordering on the 15th that you will need a credit card or debit card and they actually put a hold on the FULL! amount of the phone so those funds will need to be in your bank account or available on your credit card. This is why I am going the Radio Shack route because you don't even need a CC or Debit card for that.

TheAtreidesHawk

Bronze
Jun 7, 2010
I don't know..isn't the point of a pre order that you reserve it for yourself.

I mean they should have some no stock for those who didn't preorder of course but for those of us who do pre order they should keep it to the side right? and then its up to us to come in and pick it up at some reasonable time.