how do u make ringtones?

bunnunce_boy3

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
i hate the ringtones that came with the iPhone. anyone know how to make your own?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
There are a ton of ways of going about this. iTunes would be the "easiest" choice but it comes with a price. Now it all depends on if you are jailbroken or not. If you are then you can use iBrickr (among other programs) to get ringtones onto your phone. You can also use the iTunes workaround that allows you to make ringtones for free by converting them to AAC and then switching them to the ringtone format (I'll find instructions for that and post them in a minute).
As far as MAKING the ringtone, as in, editing the song of your choice, just Google free mp3 editors and you should find some good, free software that will allow you to edit the song to your liking.

KNK recommended Audacity as an editor. It's free and easily Google-able.

Jun 11, 2007
Lansing, MI
www.freemod.net
Making ringtones is a very easy thing to do. First one needs an MP3 editor (or Audio Editor). There are many free titles, such as audacity. Next, one needs to have the music that one wants to create the ringtone out of. Using the mp3 editor, select the portion of the song that you want to use. Crop to it. Next, select the whole ringtone, and add fade-in and fade-out effects. Save and you are good to go.

NOTE: this was meant to be a simple explanation. Use google to find out how the audio editor that you will use works. Use my simple run down as a guide. :)

bunnunce_boy3

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
btw, my iPhone is stock...i just want to use some of the songs in my iTunes to have as ringtones.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
i hate the ringtones that came with the iPhone. anyone know how to make your own?

Here is how to do the ringtones:

1. Find a song you want to use as a ringtone.
2. Use whatever program you use to "clip" a section under 30 seconds long.(Audacity is a Freeware Program)
3. Double click the shortened file and it will go into the "Music" section of iTunes and it will start to play.
4. Right click on the file and choose the "Convert to AAC" from the drop down menu.
5. You will now have two of the same files in the iTunes Music Playlist.
6. Right click on one of the two and choose "show in (to locate the file) explorer."
7. Right click on the song with the m4a to m4r extension. You can delete the other one from that folder. If you don't see the file extension then you need to open your Explorer (myComputer) go to tools/folder options/view then go and make sure you have un-checked next to "Hide extensions for known file types".
8. Change the extension from m4a to m4r.
9 Go to iTunes and delete BOTH of the files from the playlist. Just make sure you click on "keep files."
10. Now go back to the folder you have the m4r file and double click it. It should go into the "ringtone folder" of iTunes.
11. Connect your iPhone, click on the "ringtone" tab and the song you need will be on the list. Check the check box and press the apply button lower right

Oct 21, 2007
i use iPhoneringtonemaker...its like 10$ but u only pay once....i love it

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
i use iPhoneringtonemaker...its like 10$ but u only pay once....i love it

Why pay .01 when you can do above for free. Besides ringtonemaker rings don,t work with updates, that what this thread is about.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
ok, first of all, i don't really mind about paying to get the ringtone I want on iTunes, but the thing is that bearly any of the songs are able to convert to ringtones and that really sucks! the only reason i have ever bought a song on iTunes was for ringtones, but its really kind of useless. so if what youre saying is that i can make just about any sound file into a ringtone on the phone, then this is awesome!:laugh2:

I would say "the best part is that its free", but its not... the best part is that you could have ANYTHING as the ringtone.

oh and BTW, does anyone know what this thing i heard about making ringtones from "garageband"?

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
ok, first of all, i don't really mind about paying to get the ringtone I want on iTunes, but the thing is that bearly any of the songs are able to convert to ringtones and that really sucks! the only reason i have ever bought a song on iTunes was for ringtones, but its really kind of useless. so if what youre saying is that i can make just about any sound file into a ringtone on the phone, then this is awesome!:laugh2:

I would say "the best part is that its free", but its not... the best part is that you could have ANYTHING as the ringtone.

oh and BTW, does anyone know what this thing i heard about making ringtones from "garageband"?
Yes you make the ringtones in there. It has been sliced and diced here.

C

Chez10

you don't even need to make your own, you can download the sendsong app from the installer and send music on your iPhone to your ringtones

C

Chez10

do you have the installer?
If yes got to all apps and go to s and find send song

If you don't have the installer tell me and i will send you tutorial please tell me firmware also

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
ok, so i tried making a ringtone, converting it to aac in iTunes, and then changing the extension to .m4r...

it shows up under ringtones in iTunes, but it wont sync. i know its proabably has to do with the version im using, right? isn't there any way around this? :(

C

Chez10

no i don't ave the installer. firmware 1.1.3
welll now you are screwed loll, you have to wait for the hackers to jailbreak 1.1.3 (Shouldn't have updated!) follow what ever tutorials come out to get the installer then, download send song