How do we backup Cydia & 3rd party apps?

deenybird

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
they don't get transferred during an iTunes sync. How do we make sure we don't lose our apps should we need a restore?

thanks

faseone

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
they don't get transferred during an iTunes sync. How do we make sure we don't lose our apps should we need a restore?

thanks
you cant haveto reinstall everything

deenybird

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
how do you guys make sure you don't lose all your stuff?
i HATE losing things during a restore

deenybird

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
*still wondering how to back up 3rd party apps.
in the case of sshing into the phone, where are the .apps stored?

ndutyme

Sep 14, 2008
*still wondering how to back up 3rd party apps.
in the case of sshing into the phone, where are the .apps stored?
To answer deenybird's question, 3rd party apps installed by Cydia are stored in /private/var/stash/applications/ but you need to backup more than just the apps to make everything work right.

To backup everything do one of these:

Option #1
SFTP into your iPhone and backup all apps you've installed via Cydia that are in the directory above.
Also backup the folder called "apt" in /private/etc/
Restore Pwned firmware or new firmware them QuickPwn it, and SFTP in and copy back your apps and the "apt" folder to their correct directories and let Cydia update everything.

Option #2
You can install "AptBackup" (use Cydia and search for it) and it will backup a list of al the apps you've installed via Cydia. That list then gets backed up when you do a normal backup to iTunes. Then after you have to restore your iPhone, use AptBackup to restore the list and Cydia will install them all back at the same time.

I am doing this right now to install 2.1 on my iPhone 3G!

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
To answer deenybird's question, 3rd party apps installed by Cydia are stored in /private/var/stash/applications/ but you need to backup more than just the apps to make everything work right.

To backup everything do one of these:

Option #1
SFTP into your iPhone and backup all apps you've installed via Cydia that are in the directory above.
Also backup the folder called "apt" in /private/etc/
Restore Pwned firmware or new firmware them QuickPwn it, and SFTP in and copy back your apps and the "apt" folder to their correct directories and let Cydia update everything.

Option #2
You can install "AptBackup" (use Cydia and search for it) and it will backup a list of al the apps you've installed via Cydia. That list then gets backed up when you do a normal backup to iTunes. Then after you have to restore your iPhone, use AptBackup to restore the list and Cydia will install them all back at the same time.

I am doing this right now to install 2.1 on my iPhone 3G!

Keep in mind that AptBackup only makes a list of your 3rd party apps. And does NOT back up the actual app. So in other words, you will lose any settings to those apps. It's better than nothing.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
There is no way to backup unofficial applications. You can place o your computer via SSH and replace them after a restore, but they will have the wrong permissions and will not launch. AptBackup only makes a list of your apps, and AppBackup only backs app data, not the app itself.

cowsop

Sep 14, 2008
is there a way to use aptbackup but not restore your iPhone's backup after doing a restore?

In other words, before i restore my iPhone, is there some file aptbackup makes that i can backup through ssh? and then after doing the restore of the iPhone, simple put it back somewhere through ssh and then hit restore on aptbackup?

Thanks for the help

Dec 29, 2008
from this page:
http://josephhall.org/nqb2/index.php/2009/08/04/iPhone301

Aptbackup has a nasty habit of not working, occasionally. So, per this post, SSH into your phone and copy over to your computer the files aptbackup.cydiasources.tgz, aptbackup_dpkg-packages.txt and aptbackup_openssh.tgz found at /var/mobile/Library/Preferences.

Too bad it took one full year to answer your original question!

(this info is also found here:
http://www.ilikemyiPhone.com/2009/0...changing-iphone-firmware-in-itunes-aptbackup/)

RPMSTL

Bronze
Jun 22, 2009
I use a combination of iTunes restore and Rock restore.

Once you install Rock and set up a user account, Rock will automatically create backups of your non-Apple apps. When I restore, I run the iTunes backup then the Rock backup. Just about everything comes back except custom themes.

astro2

Apr 29, 2009
you cant haveto reinstall everything
if you don't know anything about jailbreaking please don't open your mouth or at least research before TRYING to help people

apt backup is for cydia stuff and appbackup is for iTunes apps (which you technically don't need)
use the 3rd party apps to do a 'backup'
go onto iTunes, do a iTunes backup, then when you rejailbreak your device all you need to do is go back onto cydia redownload aptbackup, do a restore and thats it

iTunes backup actually REMEMBERS your aptbackup process........as for appbackup I thought you needed it, but you don't, once you restore with iTunes I had all my saved games and apps ready for me

UPDATE: as for custom themes all you need is a free program like iPhone browser (no need for wifi) and copy your themes you got from cydia, back them up on the computer and move them back later

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
There is another old-fashioned way to keep "backups" of all your stuff. Do the aptbackup and save the app and theme folders if you can, but also just take lots of screen shots. Of your springboard, what your settings are on things like lockinfo, all the installed packages in Cydia and anything else you what to make a record off. Then get the pics into a folder on your computer for future reference. It's like a "plan B" backup option.

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
if you don't know anything about jailbreaking please don't open your mouth or at least research before TRYING to help people
I don't think your point will get across since you're quoting a post from July 2008.

Mar 14, 2011
clarification

is there a way to use aptbackup but not restore your iPhone's backup after doing a restore?

In other words, before i restore my iPhone, is there some file aptbackup makes that i can backup through ssh? and then after doing the restore of the iPhone, simple put it back somewhere through ssh and then hit restore on aptbackup?

Thanks for the help
i second this question. the answer directly following what i quoted above does not really answer the question unfortunately. the kicker here is that we DO NOT want to restore using iTunes but still be able to somehow backup the list (at the very least) of our cydia apps or the apps and settings themselves via ex. ssh or something of the like.

Last edited by a moderator: