How do we foster more on-topic discussion?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
The lifeblood of any forum is on-topic discussion. Often this is in the forum of folks needing and receiving help for a problem. In our case, this would be specific to iPhones, iPads or Apple related products or software. With new releases of software or hardware, we often see a surge in discussion which is not uncommon. In addition to people needing help, people come here to talk about the latest product or software update. That's all great.

Over the past few months, we've experienced a bit of a lull when it comes to on-topic discussion. Again, nothing that out of the ordinary, but it's still concerning. Thankfully, we have a tight knit group of regulars who come here regardless of Apple's product cycle. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your continued support. It really, really helps and I'm thankful for your continued patronage of the site. But we need more...

Over the past few months, I've been active behind the scenes working an assortment of things, so that the site is functioning at the absolute best it can. That phase is about complete, so I'm moving to a new project and that is building up the community and discussion within the forums. I cannot do this alone and need your help. Here's how you can make a difference:
  1. Post: Create more on-topic discussion. Anything that stirs up discussion. Whether it's a news story, a how-to tip you'd like to share, a great app or thoughts on Apple's next big thing. Anything you can do to post on-topic and get folks talking here would be awesome.
  2. Share: Tell folks about us. Share a post on Facebook or Twitter. Have a personal blog where you can tell folks about eiC? Encourage your followers to join the community. We have a great community and it's worth telling folks about.
  3. Suggest: Have an idea for increasing membership, traffic and posts? Let me know. I'm completely open to suggestions.
Again, let me thank everyone who in the past has made a contribution to the site. You rock. I'm looking forward to building, growing and making this site even more awesome.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing from you...

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
I know during the "lulls" I tend to focus more in the off topic areas, as well as sharing family stuff.
It's what, IMHO, has made this place more of a home than any other forum I've belonged to.
Great members who have gone way above and beyond to support each other.

On the flip side, the on topic tech side is what drew me here more than 3 years ago, and has been an invaluable resource for my continued enjoyment of my iDecices. That being said, I will endeavor to persevere when it comes to meaningful and intelligent on topic postings....

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I'm trying to think of ways that you can stir up more on-topic discussions. I know that sometimes when I post on-topic stuff to specific forums I get very little response, often much more response to more off-topic posts.

So I'm just going to throw a few little ideas in here in case any have potential.

-- A regular series of posts titled 'Discuss: hot topic' - eg 'Discuss: iOS 7 Needs More than Just a New Flat Look' or 'Discuss: How Long Will We Wait This Year for a Big Apple Unveiling Event'.

-- iPhone photo challenges - weekly topic for types of shot and all that sorta thing - think this may have been done before here, if so lets resurrect it?

-- Killer Features threads - weekly thread on killer features - on iOS, Mac, big wow factor features to little features that are a major boost to productivity or enjoyment of an app.

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
savy9ube.jpg

Endeavor to Persevere

Great line from Cheif Dan George in the film Outlaw Josey Wales, IIRC...

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I've been an active forum member on a lot of tech sites, but eic is by far the best. Great resource for help and advice. I will do my part and try to post more.

Thanks Chris for all you do!

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
And my subsequent post are prime examples of how to stray off topic...
Sorry Chris, I'll blame it in lack of sleep the past 10 days.:D

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I think Patrick's ideas are really good. Mod sponsored topics would guide the convo as opposed to waiting for someone to post a question/problem. The giveaways always seem to draw a lot of attention. I notice too we seem to have a lot of people reading the forum but not signing up. I know I did this for a bit. I could get the info I needed without signing up. I signed up when I had to post a question. Not sure how you can change that.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I agree with the lulls. I have posted questions asking for help and I used to get lots of responses. Lately, it's just Europa or iPhonewarrior or Napoleon PhoneApart that respond, and they are just mods who have more work here than having to answer my inquiries.

We do need to get the word out and I will do my best to often post/share on FB or Twitter. I don't have a blog, but maybe I'll add EiC to my email signature.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I know how we can generate more on-topic discussion at least for the next few months. Just change the site name to "EverythingBreakingBad.com". This will generate TONS of on-topic discussion.