How do you change the message in the Slider?

Questionmark

Bronze
Sep 3, 2008
Hey all,

I have seen in the past (before I jailbroke my iPhone) that people were able to change the slider message ('slide to cancel', 'slide to answer', etc). I was wondering how can I do that. I know some people have mentioned Customize, but it doesn't seem to be working right now.

Is there anything I could do these messages without using Customize? Open SSH maybe?

Thanks

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
install customize and go into "edit system strings". from there you CAN change those, customize just doesn't work for the themes and stuff like that in 2.1. i'm sure it can be done using ssh but this way is definitely the easiest.

Questionmark

Bronze
Sep 3, 2008
install customize and go into "edit system strings". from there you CAN change those, customize just doesn't work for the themes and stuff like that in 2.1. i'm sure it can be done using ssh but this way is definitely the easiest.
Thanks for your help, however Customize is having a problem connecting to its server. This means I cannot edit the strings with this app.

Does anyone know of a way of doing it without using Customize?

wd_stroke

Bronze
Apr 12, 2008
Backup original file before applying any changes!

Disclaimer: (Found information on another board) - No I have not tried it and will be unable to answer questions.

1. Go to System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj and get the SpringBoard.strings file.
2. Open it with an editor and look for "slide to unlock".
3. Replace it with what you want it to say.
4. Save file and reboot iPhone.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
That's the old school way of doing it that is more permanent until you edit the strings again. It works just fine if you don't feel like using Customize.

wd_stroke

Bronze
Apr 12, 2008
That's the old school way of doing it that is more permanent until you edit the strings again. It works just fine if you don't feel like using Customize.

Is there anything I could do these messages without using Customize? Thanks
Questionmark wanted another way of doing it. OK

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Questionmark wanted another way of doing it. OK
Right. Which is why I replied that I have done it before after the fact that you said you had not. I was simply vouching for the sake of saying it can be done that way, since you seemed unsure of it yourself.

Questionmark

Bronze
Sep 3, 2008
Youngbinks,

I personally would like to use Customize, but for some reason either I don't know how to do it in Customize, or there is something wrong with Customize.

What editor do I use?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
You can use Customize very easily but maybe you are looking for the wrong things:
1. Open Customize

2. Look for Edit System Strings

3. Find Springboard English

4. Scroll down to Slide to Unlock and change the text to that of your choice

If that doesn't work then you can download the Stock SystemStrings and right-click and choose "open with" (I can't remember the program since I'm on a Mac now) but either Notebook or Tablet (not sure?) editor and do Control+Find+Unlock and edit the string. Once you do that you SSH it back onto your iPhone and do a reset and the new string will appear.

dito

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
what editor are people using to edit the strings. i tried wordpad and Word and didn't work...? customize not working either, keeps crashing.

wd_stroke

Bronze
Apr 12, 2008
what editor are people using to edit the strings. i tried wordpad and Word and didn't work...? customize not working either, keeps crashing.
When I need to edit a file, I do it while I'm connect to my iPhone with WinSCP. I just "right click" the file and select edit...and save my changes when I completed the edit. The format of the file with remain intact.

dito

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
hm, i go t to it and was able to edit, but couldn't find where to cahnge the "slide to unlock" to change it. i am on 3G, 2.1, JB. i went through SSH to System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj and got to the SpringBoard.strings file, right clicked to "edit" and it came up all garbled. there is text there but i ccant find where to change it, any help?

H

Hayesimus

hey i just downloaded customize for the sole purpose of created my own slider messages, but alas, when i click edit system strings, the next page is empty. Anyone care to tell me what I'm not doing?