How do you decrease volume on created ringtone?

Sculder

Dec 26, 2007
I created a ringtone with iTunes, then synced with the phone. The ringtone sounds great, with the exception that the bass is too much for the iPhone's speaker. The end result? I have a speaker that sounds distorted and almost rattling whenever this ringtone is played back. I thought I damaged my speaker until I heard some of the other default phone ringtones work fine.

How do you reduce the volume on an already created ringtone? iTunes has removed the ability to make adjustments on the file (setting bass reducer mode, reducing volume) after it's saved as a ringtone. So now I'm stuck. Any suggestions? I've tried Goldwave and some other editors, but the file needs to be in MP3 format and it's in the proprietary Apple format.

Thanks!

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Try changing the equalizer to bass reducer
Settings->iPod->EQ

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Can you burn a ringtone to CD inside of iTunes, then re-import it as an unprotected MP3? I know that's a lot of work for a $0.99 ringtone, but if it works, may be your only recourse.

I'm on a Mac and Apple lets us just use Garageband to create ringtones for the iPhone natively. I adjust volumes in there all the time before the conversion....works very well.

Sculder

Dec 26, 2007
Can you burn a ringtone to CD inside of iTunes, then re-import it as an unprotected MP3? I know that's a lot of work for a $0.99 ringtone, but if it works, may be your only recourse.

I'm on a Mac and Apple lets us just use Garageband to create ringtones for the iPhone natively. I adjust volumes in there all the time before the conversion....works very well.

I actually considered that. Looks like that may be my only option. BTW's for anyone making ringtones through iTunes, you can only make ONE ringtone per song. I actually entertained re-making the ringtone with a lower song volume and bass-reducer, but iTunes won't let you create a ringtone with the same song twice. This is after I removed the original created ringtone and deleted it from the ringtone list in iTunes.

Runamuck

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Sculder, email me at runamuck0870 AT yahoo DOT com with the ringtone you are looking for and I'll give you a few different volume samples to try. I also need to know what part of the song you want to trim for the ringtone.