How do you feel about the QuickType feature (predictive text) in iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Oct 3, 2014.

?

How often are you taking advantage of QuickType? And does your overall typing speed decrease?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2014.
  1. All the time. It basically thinks and types perfectly for me, letting my brain go into Sleep Mode.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 90% of the time. I'm still getting used to it.

25.0%
  3. Somewhere between 50% and 90% of the time.

25.0%
  4. Sometimes (less than 50% but greater than 10% of the time).

50.0%
  5. Rarely, if ever. I'm too unpredictable for any algorithm to figure out what I'll say next.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. ...And yes, using predictive text DOES slow down my overall typing speed.

50.0%
  7. ...And no, using predictive text DOES NOT slow down my overall typing speed.

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Are you using QuickType (predictive text) a lot? Is it good at predicting what you're going to type next?

Myself, I found it is pretty good at predicting the next word I'll type. But in the time it takes me to look at the predictive text suggestions to make a determination as to whether any of the predictions being offered suit my needs at the moment, I actually have to slow my typing speed just a little bit, offsetting any time savings offered by tapping on the complete, predicted word instead of typing it out.

Maybe with time I will train my brain and eyes to operate a bit faster so as to take advantage of the predicted words without slowing down my typing. However, as of the present moment (and I've only been using iOS 8 for approxiately 48 hours), I'll probably stick to old-fashioned text entry with auto-correct.

2. missygal

missygal Zealot
    Silver

I actually feel about the same way. I have mine turned off right now. Takes more time to look up and pick word IMO...

3. Skb2000

Skb2000 Evangelist
    Gold

I am liking it more and more as I get used to it.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I actually had forgotten you can turn it off. Thanks for reminding me about that option :)

5. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I have it turned on but like others have said I'm not sure it's that much of an improvement. ::shrug::

6. Sassytallsista

Sassytallsista Contributor
    Bronze

had it on my windows phone...& windows seemed to retain my frequently used "slang" .... iOS doesn't... things like iono would pop up when needed, but on ios i get "ionosphere"... I need it to get to know me & predict based on me in order for it to be a good fit

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I'm using SwiftKey, and the more I use it the faster I get. I also make fewer mistakes. I had used the SwiftKey Note app some before now. I think that helped. If you keep using predictive, it learns a lot about how you type, what words you use, phrases and etc. I have an instructional paragraph I use that I copy and paste. SwiftKey has learned it and I just type whole words, rather than letters. It is smart.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. snowtrooper1966

Gold

Meh....
    It's on, but as was said above, seems to take more time to pick....
    Hopefully it will learn my slang as well.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If you like QuickType on iOS 8, you can use it in Yosemite. However, it's probably not going to speed up your typing much. In fact, it'll probably slow you down. You have to decide on a finger and send the finger out all the way to Timbuktu (the ESC key) to activate the feature. Even if you send the nearest finger to that key, your left pinky, resuming typing after hitting the ESC key is not the fastest maneuver in the world.

Also, it doesn't seem to work just anywhere. It isn't working right here in the text entry field on eiC as I compose this post, for example (and Apple's very own Safari is my browser).

It's smart enough to figure out what language you're typing in.

Screen Shot 2014-10-20 at 11.08.33 PM.png
    fran├žais.png

#9 Rafagon, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I think with all the predictive keyboards, you can type in your full email address several times and it will show up in the word spot. I type 3 of the first letters of my email address and the entire address shows. Some were upset because the 3rd party keyboards didn't show shortcuts. This works as well. I did this one on SwiftKey.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413863386.877512.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Could someone please type "Criminal" anywhere where one can enter text on iOS 9 and see if QuickType suggests "Minds"?

I'm not sure if it learned "Criminal Minds" from me or if it's a built-in phrase. If the latter, color me impressed!

I also just typed Keanu and it suggested reeves (albeit in lower case). Shouldn't it know that Reeves is a proper name?

Nicholas c also suggests "cage"! Again, in lowercase, but it's impressive that it seems to have popular actors' names built into the QuickType database.

Note that I'm using iOS 9, so these improvements to QuickType may only be available on iOS 9 or later.

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

No to both Criminal and Nicholas. My keyboards tend to pick up on what I type often and add it to the suggestions offered.

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you for checking that out for me. I don't remember typing Keanu Reeves or Nicholas Cage. But who knows; maybe I did and just forgot about it! I certainly didn't type those many times, so QuickType must be a fast learner.

Here are a few more experiments. I'm only gonna type the first name and the first letter of the last name of three notable individuals and see what gets suggested by QuickType. And the following are names of individuals that I don't use.

Elizabeth ta- suggested "Taylor" after I typed "ta"
    Betty w - suggested "white" after I typed "w"
    Abraham l - suggested "Lincoln" after I typed "l"

Screenshots of QuickType suggestions for the three examples immediately above:

image.png image.png image.png

So, there's the proof. Not only does QuickType suggest common phrases, but it also suggests last names of [some] notable people after the user types the first name and the first letter of the last name. Cool! That must be some enormous database that QuickType is using.

Still, why is it suggesting some names (like "white" after "Betty") in lowercase, while others (like "Taylor" after "Elizabeth") in uppercase? Proper names are obviously always written with a capital letter. Any ideas?

14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

QuickType may be set up specifically for those kind of suggestions.