How do you hold your iPhone?

When holding your iPhone in your active use grip, where is the base of your thumb?

• Total voters

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I'm sure by now, we've all seen this graphic by now.
iphone reach.jpg

So I'd like to take an impromptu poll of how representative it is.

Hold your iPhone or iPod and use it for a moment, trigger some apps, tap on the keyboard, swipe down the notification area (for those on iOS5), check that your hold and hand are comfortable, STOP.

Without altering your grip.
▪ Have the device screen facing you directly (squarely).
Find the joint at the base of your thumb where it connects to your hand.
▪ Note the position of this joint relative to the device.
▪ Answer the poll above.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Right, I forgot about the model iPhone that floats.

Yes, that's a left hand graphic. Imagine it inverted if you are right handed as am I.

The poll still applies.

Unless your one of the unfortunates that have lost use of your thumb.

Oh, and if your thumb is to the side and midway up then that would mean that the keyboard would be below your thumb when using the device in portrait view with just the one hand. Really, the keyboard is below your thumb. That is so awkward.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I have not ever seen this graphic, but the green kinda looks like how I hold my phone if the rounded sweep is for the thumb.

This probably means I'm a type A personality or something? What is this all about?

I hold the phone with my left hand (Sometimes using my thumb to do stuff) and do most of the work with my right hand using the first two fingers, but mostly the middle finger.

Eh, probably a Super Anal Type A personality :rolleyes:

Oct 3, 2009
Right, I forgot about the model iPhone that floats.

Yes, that's a left hand graphic. Imagine it inverted if you are right handed as am I.

The poll still applies.
How do we know it's a left hand graphic? I am right handed but I hold the phone with my left when doing things on it, hold it in my right when talking on it.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
How do we know it's a left hand graphic? I am right handed but I hold the phone with my left when doing things on it, hold it in my right when talking on it.
The green area represents the sweep of your thumb so in the graphic that would have to be your left thumb or that you hold your iPhone/iPod upside down.

Oct 3, 2009
Oh, got ya. When I am holding it with one hand and controlling with my thumb then it is hovering and I hold it in my right.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
These would be the three positions represented by the options in the poll in corresponding order.

I'm right handed but used my left to match the one case applying to the graphic and to be consistent with the other holds.

uploadfromtaptalk1319115574138.jpg
This is my use of the device if left handed.

uploadfromtaptalk1319115610140.jpg
This I find makes accessing much of the device impossible.

uploadfromtaptalk1319115632893.jpg
This with my fingers spaced evenly across the opposite edge of the device is the farthest thing from how I use my devices.

hold.jpg
This is how I actually hold the thing.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
These would be the three positions represented by the options in the poll in corresponding order.

I'm right handed but used my left to match the one case applying to the graphic and to be consistent with the other holds.

View attachment 16836
This is my use of the device if left handed.

View attachment 16837
This I find makes accessing much of the device impossible.

View attachment 16838
This with my fingers spaced evenly across the opposite edge of the device is the farthest thing from how I use my devices.
You've cheated. You're using an iPod Touch not an iPhone :p

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
I hold it with my pinky carrying most of the weight of the phone.

(pic taken with a mirrow so it's inverted, actually my right hand)
My pinky is usually underneath something like that whether it's in my right or left hand.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
My pinky is usually underneath something like that whether it's in my right or left hand.
Exactly. A pinky propped hold, I would think is done to free the whole of the thumb to float over the screen. This hold would be option 1 since your joint would be over the screen for most of your active use of the phone.

Whereas the third option suggests a thumb fixed and pivoting at the edge of the phone, midway up.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk