How do you install the iPhone 3.0 GM Software?

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
I'm using a Windows Vista PC, is there anyway I can upgrade my iPhone 3G to the iPhone 3.0 GM software for developers without jailbreaking it?

Keep in mind...

I don't have a developer account and never used jailbreak on the phone.

I can't seem to find out how to install it anywhere (searched a couple sites already.)

Do you have to have an Apple computer?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
You need to either be a dev, or have your phone registered under a dev's account. You can use either a mac or a pc. Hope this helps!

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
There were people here that tried it and were able to download it without being registered.

jstg

Feb 9, 2009
Washington
Download it and install it? From what I've gathered, you could download from a leaked source, but when you went to install you'd get a "Your Phone is not registered for this upgrade" type message.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Download it and install it? From what I've gathered, you could download from a leaked source, but when you went to install you'd get a "Your Phone is not registered for this upgrade" type message.
Someone offered to register two people(only those two people) if they downloaded it and it gave them that message. Neither needed to be registered so the GM release doesn't seem to require you to be registered to a dev account. I don't remember which thread it was where those people tried it but it was a GM one. Before you install it copy your UDID(click serial # in iTunes when phone is connected) into somewhere you will be able to get it like an email draft or word document just in case you need to send it to someone to get registered.

jstg

Feb 9, 2009
Washington
I don't know anyone who can get me registered and I wouldn't feel comfortable asking anyone either

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I don't know anyone who can get me registered and I wouldn't feel comfortable asking anyone either
Starting here someone installed it and didn't need to be registered:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/3-0-gm-seed-available-on-dev-site.41421/

And a few pages on there is another person who didn't need to be registered. It isn't that much longer until the final release, so I guess to be safe just wait unless you hear more confirmation that you don't need to be registered.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstg

Feb 9, 2009
Washington
That really is the best bet, but that whole first kid on the block thing is fun too haha.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
That really is the best bet, but that whole first kid on the block thing is fun too haha.
Yeah but it was nice having it way back in march ;) Maybe most people won't realize it and you will get it first then get everyone else to run to their computer and update.

jstg

Feb 9, 2009
Washington
I'm being adventurous (I've had a beer or two) and I'm going for it. If I hit a snag, so be it. I like solving mishaps

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I'm being adventurous (I've had a beer or two) and I'm going for it. If I hit a snag, so be it. I like solving mishaps
Ok you'll have to let me know how it goes.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Will do. I'm curious myself
Just make sure the file ends in .ipsw and you hold shift/option + update and find the ipsw then open it. It should be for a 3G - iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw

jstg

Feb 9, 2009
Washington
I learned that from my jailbreaking days. It's booted up and going good. Synced quickly and seems fine so far

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I learned that from my jailbreaking days. It's booted up and going good. Synced quickly and seems fine so far
That's good :) You will enjoy the head start on using 3.0

May 18, 2008

Is it alright still, or are you sat there with head in hands :) I am just about to try and install it :(

iigreatoneii

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
What I don't understand is how do I get the ipsw file onto my iPhone from my Windows Vista PC?

I can't seem to find step by step instructions on how to install it. Can anyone help explain how to install?

Also, for those who went ahead and installed without a developer account, is it working for you?

May 18, 2008
What I don't understand is how do I get the ipsw file onto my iPhone from my Windows Vista PC?

I can't seem to find step by step instructions on how to install it. Can anyone help explain how to install?

Also, for those who went ahead and installed without a developer account, is it working for you?
You have to use iTunes 8 sync your iPhone press and hold shift and click update when box opens find your ispw file and update {i know you said your on vista but does it differ from xp im not sure i use xp and i am about to try it }