How do you know if your battery sucks enough to warrant an exchange?

SF_VR6

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
How bad/weak should our batteries be before it warrants a trip to the Apple Store for exchange?

I exchanged my first iPhone due to the fact that I could never get it charged pass the red 20% mark. Obviously I had a dud battery.

What usage/standby numbers indicates a bad battery?

Should I return my iPhone if I only get 6-8hrs of usage and 2days of standby?

What are the minimum expectations (What Apple spec'd?)?

My usage pattern is:

Internet: 50% (google maps, stocks, forums, weather)
iPod: 25% (movie clips, music)
Misc: 10% (photos, calls, camera)

Current Usage Data:

Usage: 5hrs
Standby: 1 Day 9hrs
Remaining: 35% battery

Settings:

- Auto Brightness Off
- Brightness set at 10% or less
- Wifi usually Off
- Silent Vibrate Off
- Mail - Manual Check only

JPizzzle

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Those are good numbers, I wouldn't worry. But then again it depends what you are doing to get that usage (wifi, talk, ipod?). Let us know. Also let us know the settings you have, such as wifi and brightness.

funkeruski

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
I can't even get my phone to display the usage/standby numbers. I know there was a thread on this issue a while back, but I can't find it. Anyone know how I can get my phone to start displaying this?

insocal

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
How bad/weak should our batteries be before it warrants a trip to the Apple Store for exchange?

I exchanged my first iPhone due to the fact that I could never get it charged pass the red 20% mark. Obviously I had a dud battery.

What usage/standby numbers indicates a bad battery?

Should I return my iPhone if I only get 6-8hrs of usage and 2days of standby?

What are the minimum expectations (What Apple spec'd?)?

My usage pattern is:

Internet: 50% (google maps, stocks, forums, weather)
iPod: 25% (movie clips, music)
Misc: 10% (photos, calls, camera)

Current Usage Data:

Usage: 5hrs
Standby: 1 Day 9hrs
Remaining: 35% battery

Settings:

- Auto Brightness Off
- Brightness set at 10% or less
- Wifi usually Off
- Silent Vibrate Off
- Mail - Manual Check only

Those numbers are A LOT better than mine! I actually didn't realize that STANDBY NUMBERS are actually the TOTAL you should subtract the USAGE NUMBERS from and then add a little more to the USAGE to get an accurate view of your real USAGE. Does that make sense? They just explained this to me at The Apple Store yesterday. I will do one more day of 'battery testing' with moderate to heavy use and make a decision whether to keep or return. But even with the question of battery life, I still LOVE the iPhone! :laugh2:

SF_VR6

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I can't even get my phone to display the usage/standby numbers. I know there was a thread on this issue a while back, but I can't find it. Anyone know how I can get my phone to start displaying this?
You must get your phone to charge to 100% and show a full glowing battery.

Then use it until you get the 20% battery life warning. Do not sync or plug the phone back in again.

Your meter should say: Time Since Last Full Charge
This will give you the most accurate measure.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Definitely depends on how strong your cell phone reception is as well too... if you don't get good reception, the phone work harder pulling down a signal. And that's cyclical: when you have low battery you'll notice you don't get as good reception as well...

vanslam

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Numbers are vey good. AS long as you shut of wifi and blue tooth the numbers should be good. I had a Nokia 9500, warmly called the brick. It never reached the usage of the iPhone. The drawing time of the web was very very slow. I really like my iPhone the more I use it.

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Definitely depends on how strong your cell phone reception is as well too... if you don't get good reception, the phone work harder pulling down a signal. And that's cyclical: when you have low battery you'll notice you don't get as good reception as well...
This is probably the most import thing to consider when determining battery life. At my office I get crap for a signal so the phone is always trying to connect to AT&T and the battery will barley last 6 hours. However at my home where I have a very strong signal the battery life is better then any smartphone I have had, well except maybe for my blackberry.

JPizzzle

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Alright guys,
If you guys can help me with this i'd appreciate it. This is my 6th, yes 6th iPhone. I've had some bad luck in the iPhone dept. This phone's battery seems to be not as strong as my last iPhone(s). Here's my info as of now where it hit 20% after a full charge:
Battery: 20%
Usage: 5hrs, 47min
Standby: 1Day, 9 hrs
Call time since charge: 38min
Internet (web surfing, email, youtube,weather, etc) approx 3.5 hrs on wifi
Ipod: approx 45min

Wifi is on, but ask to join networks is off
bluetooth is off always
brightness is set on auto with the bar at 50%

Please, let me know if this is normal because i've been reading of better times like many of you, and I also have a 7 series screen. Thanks in advance.

jacjac2

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Texas
daily routine

I am having to charge my battery every day now. I did a partial charge not before last, had 4.5 hours of usage and 23 hours of standby. I have to charge again tonight after this figure, but battery went all the way down.

I have read and have in place all the items of how to save battery. I do not use mine I feel as much as others but feel I have to charge daily. How does this compare to others.

Jackie

SF_VR6

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Alright guys,
If you guys can help me with this i'd appreciate it. This is my 6th, yes 6th iPhone. I've had some bad luck in the iPhone dept. This phone's battery seems to be not as strong as my last iPhone(s). Here's my info as of now where it hit 20% after a full charge:
Battery: 20%
Usage: 5hrs, 47min
Standby: 1Day, 9 hrs
Call time since charge: 38min
Internet (web surfing, email, youtube,weather, etc) approx 3.5 hrs on wifi
Ipod: approx 45min

Wifi is on, but ask to join networks is off
bluetooth is off always
brightness is set on auto with the bar at 50%

Please, let me know if this is normal because i've been reading of better times like many of you, and I also have a 7 series screen. Thanks in advance.
Brightness is at 50% eh this is kinda high.

I have mine at maybe 10% (above/between the Br in Brightness)
It also helps if you turn auto brightness off and keep it as low as you can.
I am averaging 6-8 hours of usage as well.

Your battery is not a dud battery like my first one (less than 10% all the time)

JPizzzle

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Brightness is at 50% eh this is kinda high.

I have mine at maybe 10% (above/between the Br in Brightness)
It also helps if you turn auto brightness off and keep it as low as you can.
I am averaging 6-8 hours of usage as well.

Your battery is not a dud battery like my first one (less than 10% all the time)
Thx SF, I put it at 50, but figured auto brightness will adjust. Thx for the response. Anyway else think my results are normal or perhaps a dud? Thx again all.

SF_VR6

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Thx SF, I put it at 50, but figured auto brightness will adjust. Thx for the response. Anyway else think my results are normal or perhaps a dud? Thx again all.
hey no prob. One thing to understand about auto-brightness is that say you are in a well lit room, the iPhone will actually turn up the brightness based on your max brightness setting on your auto-brightness slider.

You would think the brightness would be dimmed since their is ample light in the room. This may use more battery juice than having it at a constant 10-20% brightness.

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
hey no prob. One thing to understand about auto-brightness is that say you are in a well lit room, the iPhone will actually turn up the brightness based on your max brightness setting on your auto-brightness slider.

You would think the brightness would be dimmed since their is ample light in the room. This may use more battery juice than having it at a constant 10-20% brightness.
actually, the auto brightness is acting as it should, since the room may be brighter, it has to compete with the higher amounts of brightness your eyes see. basically the auto brightness meter tries to maintain a % higher amount of brightness over the amount of ambient light in your surroundings.

sorry bout the thread hijack, but i was checking to see if my battery life is on par. seems that it is:

current usage:

4h 41m hours of usage
1d 4h of standby time.

most of that is email/webbing (bout half on edge half on wireless)

i'd say 1-1.5 hours of talk time.

i have about 35% left, and this is day 2 on this charge. im pretty pleased so far.

i usually chat on the phone with the girlfriend for about an hour every night, and do some surfing here and there during the day. i also have random phone calls, bout 5-6 totalling about 30-45 minutes on average.

crane98

Jul 11, 2007
It's a smart phone, it uses the internet, it's an ipod, it has a huge lcd display, you have to charge a phone like this EVERY NIGHT. Why do people have such a hard time understanding this?

Laura123

Jul 17, 2007
I'm having to charge every night too, not looking forward to that warranty running out and having to pay the $85 to get a new battery. ipodjuice.com has a less expensive and faster service up now though, with a 10 warrantied iPhone battery.
:) Laura

edit, well my link came out weird but it's easy to find at ipodjuice.com

Aug 3, 2007
Those numbers are A LOT better than mine! I actually didn't realize that STANDBY NUMBERS are actually the TOTAL you should subtract the USAGE NUMBERS from and then add a little more to the USAGE to get an accurate view of your real USAGE. Does that make sense? They just explained this to me at The Apple Store yesterday. I will do one more day of 'battery testing' with moderate to heavy use and make a decision whether to keep or return. But even with the question of battery life, I still LOVE the iPhone! :laugh2:
What's your source on this info?